DPF deleted, how to remove filter?

so if no hardware has been fitted or tampered with . .

you should be able to go right back to the standard vans map.

then address the EGR "insuffient flow rate" - which is the most common fault code.

++++++++

i wonder if the have just unplugged the EGR valve wires?

of if the software just set it closed and that was that?

only the mapper guys will know what's what.

have you thought about taking it back o them and asking them to put a OEM map back on it?

Did he make you aware of the implications of the remap?? If not I would have thought you would have some sort of come back with him

Did he make you aware of the implications of the remap?? If not I would have thought you would have some sort of come back with him
Yeah he said it was illegal to do it and that I would need to get the dpf drilled out. My own fault as I thought it would be a simple job but it’s not. Lesson learned.

Can you not drop the DPF off drill some holes on top where they can’t be seen when fitted on the van and refit?

If you cut the DPF along an existing weld line (around the top for example) you can remove the internals then reweld along the same line and if it's a good enough job there will be no visible sign that it has been tampered with. (DAMHIK)
The problem is if the smoke test fails you're stuffed.
My MoT tester says they don't bother with the smoke test on VW's because the revs are limited when standing still, so they can't rev the tits off it to see if it chucks anything out.

ok, I’ve had a brand new Egr cooler fitted a vw part that have apparently been upgraded I’m told . Picked the van up on Friday everything fine. Drove it Saturday and engine management light back on! The engine management light was on before I took it in but I thought that was related to the blocked egr cooler. Been back to Volksmaster in Oldham which have been great to deal with highly recommended them and they said it’s the code P226D00 which relates to the dpf.They said it could be a faulty sensor or that the dpf is faulty. They have turned the engine management light off and said to see how I go which I will. How likely is it that the dpf is knackered? It’s just cost me £2150 for egr cooper, cam belt with water pump and interim service with brake fluid change. Can really do without having to fork out for a new dpf as well. The van has only covered 51000! Any advise on this welcome. Thanks.

ok, I’ve had a brand new Egr cooler fitted a vw part that have apparently been upgraded I’m told . Picked the van up on Friday everything fine. Drove it Saturday and engine management light back on! The engine management light was on before I took it in but I thought that was related to the blocked egr cooler. Been back to Volksmaster in Oldham which have been great to deal with highly recommended them and they said it’s the code P226D00 which relates to the dpf.They said it could be a faulty sensor or that the dpf is faulty. They have turned the engine management light off and said to see how I go which I will. How likely is it that the dpf is knackered? It’s just cost me £2150 for egr cooper, cam belt with water pump and interim service with brake fluid change. Can really do without having to fork out for a new dpf as well. The van has only covered 51000! Any advise on this welcome. Thanks.

Get an OBD reader.

Then read this Best DPF Monitoring App?

Then go for a 30 minute drive with at least 1/3 a tank of diesel in. Over 40mph and above 2k revs.

See what changes.

If that light has been switched off and you have been sent away with no info on what to look for or what to do, It's a worry. You either need to do this and get that light back on as soon as possible to know it's still broken or rule it out for piece of mind.

It will only get worse if the car can't fix itself.

At worst the DPF may need to be removed and back flushed to clean it, don't bother getting one of those companies out that pushes a load of chemicals through it without removing it, it doesn't work for long, the filter gets clogged with ash and the only way to get it out is to back flush. You don't need a new DPF. Proper cleaning will renew it.
Interim cleaning which is what is described in the linked pages above, converts the initial build up of soot ( which takes up more space than the ash but is burnable with a regen ) into a lesser amount of ash and allows the DPF to extend it's working time, but the ash will build up eventually to a point it needs to be flushed out and it can only come out the same way it went in which means the DPF needs to come off and the ash is removed by flushing it out (with the help of chemicals and water) to leave the filter ready to be used again. If yours is at the burn off the soot stage then a forced regen will add some working life to it but if not and the ash build up is too much, a flush will be required.
Rinse and repeat as they say.

At worst the DPF may need to be removed and back flushed to clean it, don't bother getting one of those companies out that pushes a load of chemicals through it without removing it, it doesn't work for long, the filter gets clogged with ash and the only way to get it out is to back flush. You don't need a new DPF. Proper cleaning will renew it.
Interim cleaning which is what is described in the linked pages above, converts the initial build up of soot ( which takes up more space than the ash but is burnable with a regen ) into a lesser amount of ash and allows the DPF to extend it's working time, but the ash will build up eventually to a point it needs to be flushed out and it can only come out the same way it went in which means the DPF needs to come off and the ash is removed by flushing it out (with the help of chemicals and water) to leave the filter ready to be used again. If yours is at the burn off the soot stage then a forced regen will add some working life to it but if not and the ash build up is too much, a flush will be required.
Rinse and repeat as they say.

Thanks for the advise. At the garage they said that something could be cracked inside? A filter? Can you recommend someone for the referees flush? I live in Manchester area.

Some thoughts about dpf delete for those of you that are thinking of dpf, ad-blue delete.
I was searching the internet and found this and other threads about a delete.

Below here is a link to a Swedish article (can be easily translated to english) about DPF deletes and the Swedish MOT.
In short what it states is that
”You can gut out your dpf until it is an empty can and still be able to pass MOT” (in Sweden)

I have seen many replies on different forums that the dpf is there for a reason. To save the environment. I agree but have a different approach. My opinion is that it is there for a political reason. And the automotive industry was reluctant until legislation. And now the retailers are making money on a very complicated system.

If you can drill it out the dpf and still pass MOT with an opacitytest then why do you have dpf’s?

After quite some reseach all over the internet I have found statements that suggest

1) euro 5/6 particulate filters makes more NOx than earlier models
2) more NOx then has to be lowered (do they really?)
3) NOx lowering in euro 5 leads to higher fuel consumption
4) NOx lowering in euro 6 with urea injection leads to ammonium in exhaust gases and they seem to be very bad for plantlife (what about humans?)
5) NOx is not bad for plantlife. That is why you find so much flourishing greens after roads
6) NOx is not bad for humans. Nitric dioxides is unfortunately.
7) Humans have glands in the nose that secrete NOx when you inhale. Please do a search for Nitric oxides health benefits.
8) Dpf euro 5/6 only lets small particles pass and according to new studies these small particles can pass into the bloodstream of humans making them up to 1000 times(!!!) more carcinogenic than older diesel cars.
9) Political legislations often lead to consequenses that are worse than the initial problem they were supposed to solve.

I am fully aware that exhaust gases are full of other harmful stuff. This is much more complicated. My question is do NOx levels really have to be lowered?

The most aggressive greenhouse gas is water-wapor. Water droplets attach to small particles. What about large particles like diesel exhast particles? Do they creste more humidity in the air? I don’t know. Does anyone know?

Unfortunately when it comes to scientific research some claim that up to 84% of research is flawed or completely wrong.
But they could be wrong!

Hope this helps those reading this thread and are thinking of dpf delete to make a decision. I have not done a dpf delete myself. Atleast not yeat. Have done a dpf flush for now after a turbo change. Will see what happens in the future.

I looked into the insurance implications and if you do the dpf delete your insurance will be void as the vehicle is no longer deemed to be road worthy, even if it has passed an mot.

Some thoughts about dpf delete for those of you that are thinking of dpf, ad-blue delete.
I was searching the internet and found this and other threads about a delete.

Below here is a link to a Swedish article (can be easily translated to english) about DPF deletes and the Swedish MOT.
In short what it states is that
”You can gut out your dpf until it is an empty can and still be able to pass MOT” (in Sweden)

I have seen many replies on different forums that the dpf is there for a reason. To save the environment. I agree but have a different approach. My opinion is that it is there for a political reason. And the automotive industry was reluctant until legislation. And now the retailers are making money on a very complicated system.

If you can drill it out the dpf and still pass MOT with an opacitytest then why do you have dpf’s?

After quite some reseach all over the internet I have found statements that suggest

1) euro 5/6 particulate filters makes more NOx than earlier models
2) more NOx then has to be lowered (do they really?)
3) NOx lowering in euro 5 leads to higher fuel consumption
4) NOx lowering in euro 6 with urea injection leads to ammonium in exhaust gases and they seem to be very bad for plantlife (what about humans?)
5) NOx is not bad for plantlife. That is why you find so much flourishing greens after roads
6) NOx is not bad for humans. Nitric dioxides is unfortunately.
7) Humans have glands in the nose that secrete NOx when you inhale. Please do a search for Nitric oxides health benefits.
8) Dpf euro 5/6 only lets small particles pass and according to new studies these small particles can pass into the bloodstream of humans making them up to 1000 times(!!!) more carcinogenic than older diesel cars.
9) Political legislations often lead to consequenses that are worse than the initial problem they were supposed to solve.

I am fully aware that exhaust gases are full of other harmful stuff. This is much more complicated. My question is do NOx levels really have to be lowered?

The most aggressive greenhouse gas is water-wapor. Water droplets attach to small particles. What about large particles like diesel exhast particles? Do they creste more humidity in the air? I don’t know. Does anyone know?

Unfortunately when it comes to scientific research some claim that up to 84% of research is flawed or completely wrong.
But they could be wrong!

Hope this helps those reading this thread and are thinking of dpf delete to make a decision. I have not done a dpf delete myself. Atleast not yeat. Have done a dpf flush for now after a turbo change. Will see what happens in the future.
Short-term exposure to concentrations of NO2 can cause inflammation of the airways and increase susceptibility to respiratory infections and to allergens. NO2 can exacerbate the symptoms of those already suffering from lung or heart conditions. In addition, NOx can have environmental impacts. Deposition of nitrogen to the environment both directly as a gas (dry deposition) and in precipitation (wet deposition) can change soil chemistry and affect biodiversity in sensitive habitats.

NOx can react with other air pollutants (e.g. NMVOCs) to form ground-level ozone. Ozone is a gas which is damaging to human health and can trigger inflammation of the respiratory tract, eyes, nose and throat, as well as asthma attacks. Ozone can also have adverse effects on the environment through oxidative damage to vegetation including crops.

Back