DPF deleted, how to remove filter?

Foyi75

Hi, New to the forum. I own a T6 2019 . I’ve had a egr, add blue and dpf delete with a remap. I have been told that I need to get the dpf drilled with a few holes not a complete removal of the whole filter inside. Can you remove the dpf from the vehicle without having to cut it off? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

hi and welcome to T6F. . .

+++

assuming you only use the van "off road" now as its illegal to drive on an UK public roads with the emission system tampered with.

which will also invalidate the MOT and insurance.

"Fines for drivers​

For drivers, the penalty for driving a vehicle with the diesel particulate filter removed, are fines of up to £1,000 for a car or £2,500 for a light goods vehicle.

Undeclared illegal modifications (like removing a diesel particulate filter) could also invalidate a vehicle’s insurance, so it’s not just garages who could face serious consequences."

+++

the DPF is removable, like below.

but you won't have access to the internals by the looks of things:

ref ebay pic,

1706523612252.png

Thanks for the info. My problem started with a blocked egr cooler. A mechanic friend of mine recommended the delete’s as the problem will continue to reoccur. I didn’t realise the at the dpf would need to cut to access the filter inside it. I’m now wondering whether to have the delete undone and whatever happens I will have to deal with. When the egr was first diagnosed by a vw technician at the road side I took it into vw but they said that their computer won’t talk to my van because it is mapped. They didn’t have any problems talking to it before when I took it in for service etc. They just fobbed me off. Said I’d need to take it back to where I got it mapped. They were supposed to do an egr flush on it.

EGR clogging is a very common issue on the T6.

It wil need cleaning/ replacing at some point.

I had two flushes and a replacement under warranty.

The EGR clogging may or may not contribute to blocked DPF.

Some have said engine wear and high oil consumption will block the DPF.

Assuming you are out and f warranty, the EGR is a replaceable £600 od part... Plus labour... So not cheap. But maybe cheaper at a local vw indy.

The adblue is a separate system.... that works with the dpf.... Smashing holes in the dpf is obviously not an official fix.... And assumed to be needed as the PDF may start to clog with soot now seeing as you are now not doing regents to clean the pdf? (Depending on what the delete does with adblu and regents?) - it may be making things worse? Possibly clogging the dpf till it's completely blocked?

As you found out, you need to go back to standard to have the original issues sorted out...

How long has the van been modified? And the miles? - you might be able to recover it back to normal with just a new EGR cooler?

Keep us posted with any updates

EGR clogging is a very common issue on the T6.

It wil need cleaning/ replacing at some point.

I had two flushes and a replacement under warranty.

The EGR clogging may or may not contribute to blocked DPF.

Some have said engine wear and high oil consumption will block the DPF.

Assuming you are out and f warranty, the EGR is a replaceable £600 od part... Plus labour... So not cheap. But maybe cheaper at a local vw indy.

The adblue is a separate system.... that works with the dpf.... Smashing holes in the dpf is obviously not an official fix.... And assumed to be needed as the PDF may start to clog with soot now seeing as you are now not doing regents to clean the pdf? (Depending on what the delete does with adblu and regents?) - it may be making things worse? Possibly clogging the dpf till it's completely blocked?

As you found out, you need to go back to standard to have the original issues sorted out...

How long has the van been modified? And the miles? - you might be able to recover it back to normal with just a new EGR cooler?

Keep us posted with any updates

Van was remapped in December and deletes done. It’s done 51000. Probably done 1000 miles since it was done.

First i've personally heard of drilling holes in it, usual way people / companies do it is cut a hole in the side and smash the element out the inside.

First i've personally heard of drilling holes in it, usual way people / companies do it is cut a hole in the side and smash the element out the inside.
Yeah I’ve seen that too. But once you have visually tampered with the dpf it’s an immediate mot fail. Will using dpf cleaner help stop mine clogging up?

Yeah I’ve seen that too. But once you have visually tampered with the dpf it’s an immediate mot fail. Will using dpf cleaner help stop mine clogging up?
I get that, obviously dependant on how good a job someone does.

• Love
Reactions: CJW
did you have a performance map on the engine before ? ( whats the van spec? you said T6 2019 but what engine?)

then a EGR/ADBLUE/ delete map - which would over write the other map.

what map are you looking to go back to?

But once you have visually tampered with the dpf it’s an immediate mot fail.
It is, but if you have evidence that it's been opened for repair/cleaning then it's a pass. Knocking lumps out the internals won't justify it being cleaned.

You have to remember that ANY visible smoke no matter what colour from a dpf equipped diesel is a fail. So if the internals are removed, I'd doubt there would be no smoke. However there are plenty garages who continue to pass such vehicles.

I don't agree with the way emissions are tested on diesels. We have to conduct a smoke test which is an opacity test. The vehicle can pass that, but be failed for putting out smoke. So can pass on one breath, but gets failed on another. Doesn't make sense really

did you have a performance map on the engine before ? ( whats the van spec? you said T6 2019 but what engine?)

then a EGR/ADBLUE/ delete map - which would over write the other map.

what map are you looking to go back to?
It had a map from Pendle which was wiped when the new one was put in. It’s the 2.0l highline. Keep the map in from hyperchips.

all the T6 are 2.0L

but the BHP changes across the three types, i think they were, (around the 2019 time)

102ps
150ps
204ps

so assuming you have a 102ps that was mapped by Pendle for more power?

all the T6 are 2.0L

but the BHP changes across the three types, i think they were, (around the 2019 time)

102ps
150ps
204ps

so assuming you have a 102ps that was mapped by Pendle for more power?
It’s a 150ps

Gave it just shy of 200ps

If I take my van into vw can they overwrite what’s been done eg the deletes? Rather than paying for the deletes to be undone and map left in?

the deletes normally involve blanking plates being fitted on the EGR valve,

not sure about the adblue - software only? or maybe HW change?

and DPF delete is normally ECU software and hardware change - ie DPF internals removed.

+++++

VW at cost may be able to reflash the engine ECU to factory stock.

but doubt they will want to touch any hardware mods - like egr blanking etc, or adblue removal.

+++

you might need to put all the hardware back to normal, then have a standard engine map flashed.

i was under the impression that mappers have a default ECU map that they can use.

and that they also take a customers ECU copy, before reflashing any changes.

+++

eg:​

VW Transporter T6 2.0 TDI EGR Delete Blanking Kit​

1706539758275.png

PLEASE NOTE: ONCE BLANKED OFF THE VEHICLES ECU WILL NO LONGER GET A SIGNAL FROM THE EGR VALVE CAUSING THE EMISSIONS WORKSHOP LIGHT TO APPEAR ON THE DASH BOARD. WE CAN REMOVE THIS BY REPROGRAMMING THE EGR SOFTWARE ON THE ECU.​

DARKSIDE DEVELOPMENTS ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE USE OF THIS PART ON THE PUBLIC HIGHWAY WHERE REMOVAL OF EMISSIONS CONTROLS IS PROHIBITED. IT IS THE CUSTOMERS RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THEY COMPLY WITH RULES AND LAWS RELATING TO THEIR HOME COUNTRY​

eg:

ADBLUE DELETE

1706539880597.png

What Is Our AdBlue Solution?​

Our AdBlue solution removes the AdBlue fault codes form the ECU and stops the AdBlue system from needing to work.
This means if you have issues with your AdBlue, our solution will stop this from causing any symptoms with the driving, starting or running of the vehicle.

PLEASE NOTE, IT IS ILLEGAL TO DRIVE A VEHICLE WITH A TAMPERED EMISSIONS SYSTEM ON PUBLIC ROADS IN THE UK. THIS SOLUTION IS INTENDED FOR OFF-ROAD USE VEHICLES ONLY.

eg:

DPF delete:

1706539952140.png

When buying the DPF Delete Pipe on its own you will require a custom ECU Remap to erase any fault codes or engine management lights. We will not be responsible for any problems that may occur with any other tuners software

DARKSIDE DEVELOPMENTS ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE USE OF THIS PART ON THE PUBLIC HIGHWAY WHERE REMOVAL OF EMISSIONS CONTROLS IS PROHIBITED. IT IS THE CUSTOMERS RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THEY COMPLY WITH RULES AND LAWS RELATING TO THEIR HOME COUNTRY​

Back