Does It Matter What Brand Of Adblue?

simonkirkland

VIP Member
I’ve searched and can’t find this discussed. I’m due my first adblue topup and wondering whether it matters what brand/type of adblue I use. Do I just go for the cheapest.

20L for £15 on eBay.

I know I can go to BP pump and the dealer owes me some but for convenience I need to fill at home sometimes.

There is an ISO standard for AdBlue: ISO 22241 or 22241-1
I have a bottle of the official VW stuff in the garage, and it has that ISO number on it, so just make sure whatever you put in meets that standard.

Pete

I just added 5L to my Tesco shopping delivery..

There was a guy with a new Jag on Pistonheads, he used Halfords adblue and then had issues with his car at a later date.

I believe Jag tried to push the warranty claims back onto this guy because of the adblue that he'd used wasn't from a Jag dealer.

Found the thread here -

Adblue Jaguar DEF issues - Page 1 - Jaguar - PistonHeads

Not especially relevant on a VW forum, but if you have a JLR vehicle it's worth noting.

Reads like Jag owners have more issues than us...

Reads like Jag owners have more issues than us...

I have a chum with a 2yr old Macan. His tale is the same as many emissions related ones I read on here. It's had countless visits to the dealer, many new DEF parts, and now it's a 'thing' with the Macans of oil dilution where they over fuel on an active regen, not all the fuel gets burnt and washes past the rings, increasing oil level and diluting the precious synthetic oil ! Not sure why only the Macan's seem to be affected, as I thought it was the same 3.0 V6 on all VAG stuff. Google oil dilution, I never even knew it existed !

I have a chum with a 2yr old Macan. His tale is the same as many emissions related ones I read on here. It's had countless visits to the dealer, many new DEF parts, and now it's a 'thing' with the Macans of oil dilution where they over fuel on an active regen, not all the fuel gets burnt and washes past the rings, increasing oil level and diluting the precious synthetic oil ! Not sure why only the Macan's seem to be affected, as I thought it was the same 3.0 V6 on all VAG stuff. Google oil dilution, I never even knew it existed !
“Making oil” is a well known phenomenon in Infernal Combustion circles. Our 2cyl 13hp Honda mower has just died the same way.

Back