Does anyone remember this?

sippe

NCO
VCDS User
T6 Pro
Saab 9-5 night panel (not my own picture, it would have been in km/h).... Don't know why others did not implement it. One of the cooler features I found.....
When you press the switch all lights in the car go black, including the whole dash, and the speedometer only lights to 140km/h (or 90mph) unless you go faster....
night panel.png

I’ve got an old Saab 9-3 that I am running in to the ground. It has the same night panel switch and after using it a couple of times when I first got the car I haven’t used it during the last 80,000 miles!

I remember the adverts for it. It was sold as a way of removing all distractions allowing you to focus on driving.

Pete

Saab build fighter jets which don’t have the benefit of useful headlamps H4 or otherwise. Night vision therefore is a bit more important on the runway than popping down the chippy to get your tea.

Welcome to turbo lag! Welcome to Saab turbo. My dad used to live them. The originals were certainly well built then Vauxhall got involved.

My dad had a 900 Turbo in the early 80s, I was mesmerised by how quiet and fast it was. It was the only time he ever splurged on a relatively expensive car and I loved it , even though I only lived for motorbikes at that age.
I looked at getting a new one later in life but the Vauxhall ones were not really comparable And I walked away disappointed. A nice “proper” Saab in good nick from back in the day is big money now.

Reactions: JOG
First car I went over 100mph in, I wasn’t driving sadly.

My company 9-3 had this. Seemed quite pointless at the time and rarely used it. Fast forward to now and everyone wants a huge bright digital cockpit display...

Used to have a 9-5 for a while, really loved the night panel thing on motorways, very relaxing...

Afterwards got my hands on a 9000 aero, really regretted selling it... The interior was quite legendary, and the handling after some tweaks wasn't bad either!
In Normandië.jpg

Such a legendary car back in the 80’s. The black Saab turboes with the three spoke alloys. Amazing, mega rare now though.

Used to have a 9-5 for a while, really loved the night panel thing on motorways, very relaxing...

Afterwards got my hands on a 9000 aero, really regretted selling it... The interior was quite legendary, and the handling after some tweaks wasn't bad either!
View attachment 93063
My dad had that exact same Aero as in the photo, it went like an absolute rocket and handled pretty well. He then went on to the 9-5 Aero which was seriously fast but had horrendous handling by comparison, that was the GM influence coming in to wreck the company and was the start of their undoing IMO.

My mum used to have the Saab 900 which was quirky but a dream to drive, she then went on to the 9-3 and we found the same thing, GM ruined it!!

I had a brand new 9.5 estate in 2000. Picked the wife and newborn son up in it from hospital straight from the dealer.

I found that the night panel used to make me feel sleepy, maybe that’s why it didn’t catch on?

I had a brand new 9.5 estate in 2000. Picked the wife and newborn son up in it from hospital straight from the dealer.

I found that the night panel used to make me feel sleepy, maybe that’s why it didn’t catch on?
Straight from the dealer? So while the wife was giving birth you were out buying a car :slow rofl:

now I’m imagining the family coming round to see the new arrival and after 20mins outside you ask them if they want to see the baby too:rofl:

:) Wasn't quite that bad !

The Lad was in ICU for a couple of days, so perfect opportunity to go and collect the new car - it did take some explaining though. Then when folks came round to see him it was exactly as you say, the boys would be outside checking out the shiny new wheels, the girls were inside cooing over the new arrival.

The turbo lag was major, but that was an incentive to keep it 'on the pipe' when you drove it ! (Obviously without a Baby on Board)

My Alfa 159 had a similar "night vision" feature. I think I used it once to make sure it worked then forgot about it!

Back