Dodgy Diesel - Any idea what this could be??

MGT

A few weeks back I filled up with diesel and 60 miles into my journey my caravelle broke down, initially expected as some warranty issue and I was dealt with brilliantly by VW Assist.

Any after a few weeks of the garage being a bit slow to diagnose the issue (plus there was a few engine software updated to do) they drained the tank an what is on the left is from my tank!!

Anyone have any ideas? I've reported it to the petrol station concerned (pleased I have the the receipt) so I'm hoping they will cover it!

full.jpg

Was there a petrol tanker there at the time ?
Have heard of some horror stories before about tankers filling the station and stirring up all the crap in the underground tanks, worked with a few contractors that fit out petrol stations and they adamantly tell everyone to never fill up if there is a tanker on site connected, showed me a few pics of underground tanks they were about to drain and clean and all the crap that gets inside them, I was very surprised how much shit gets in there !

I'm a bad one for not keeping receipts. I think it may good practice to do so as you never know what you may have put in your tank. Keep us posted on any developments.

We've been filling up at the same place for over 10 years with no issues but I think we might stop now and pay a little more as it seems like its more common in supermarket fuel.

Definitely keep receipts, just a habit we have - so pleased it became a habit!

No tanker was there at the time, looking around online it might be water that has contaminated it, but don't know it as a fact.

Family member seen a few comments on FB a few weeks ago about the same garage so thats reassuring in a weird way.

If the company aren't helpful I'll be getting the Caravelle branded up with a picture of my fuel and park on the forecourt ;-)

you get what you pay for, cheap supermarket fuel, no additives just the basic fuel.

Mates girlfriend runs a petrol station. She reckons it's water and probably from a crack/leak in the forecourts underground tank.

Pour the two samples together and see if they seperate. If it is water, then the oil will sit on top creating an oil/water interface.
Water SG of 1.00
Diesel SG of 0.78-0.80

Last edited:
I don't use supermarket diesel.
Many of them mix up to 10% bio diesel at the pump - maybe you got a bit more than 10%.....

Well the company in question have used "sorry" in an email, they are asking for details of costs, out of pocket expenses etc and it appears they have admitted an issue to someone else (trying to get proof of that). But the wording of their email certainly didn't come from a legal department denying any liability :)

Fingers still crossed!

Back