Dinghies!

Saint Paul

TSPTR T32 150 H-LN 2021
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello all, anyone on here tow a dinghy road trailer? Any issues with mast angle? I’m looking to get a comet zero which is 3.45m hulk length. Tips welcome!

Hi @Saint Paul it shouldn't be too much of a problem,I used to tow a laser 2000 behind a minibus ,just had to raise the mast support slightly.I think you have about a 6m mast on a zero !The tow hitch on the road base must be about a metre long so if you cant initially lift it high enough when buying the boat ,just push the mast back far enough to clear the back of your van and let it hang out the back of the hull. 1.5m out the back is not too much to worry about , just tie a bit of rag on the end so people can see it!

Hi @Saint Paul it shouldn't be too much of a problem,I used to tow a laser 2000 behind a minibus ,just had to raise the mast support slightly.I think you have about a 6m mast on a zero !The tow hitch on the road base must be about a metre long so if you cant initially lift it high enough when buying the boat ,just push the mast back far enough to clear the back of your van and let it hang out the back of the hull. 1.5m out the back is not too much to worry about , just tie a bit of rag on the end so people can see it!
Thanks @stu3467 for the useful info. I’m sure I will be fine as the mast is shorter than your old laser.

Every time I am in the van I am towing dinghies around. Currently sat at the club as I type this whilst the family go sailing. This is a Mersea double stacking trailer, and whilst we carry lasers on it currently, it has the mast support at the front, and as you can see it would give plenty of clearance, it is just about setting the mast support at the right height.
03BDB549-C2EB-4A81-84F8-04340EA98CC4.jpeg
A7C39777-95B2-4BF9-9FDE-77BC306C1A09.jpeg

Every time I am in the van I am towing dinghies around. Currently sat at the club as I type this whilst the family go sailing. This is a Mersea double stacking trailer, and whilst we carry lasers on it currently, it has the mast support at the front, and as you can see it would give plenty of clearance, it is just about setting the mast support at the right height.
View attachment 118382
View attachment 118383
Thanks for sharing. A neat bit of kit. Enjoy!

Back