Cross bars to fit on VW roof rails and carry >60kg

adbguern

Hi T6 experts. I’ve had my T6 Kombi for 3 years (2018 SWB model) and love it, but still very much a newbie on anything technical.

I have the VW roofrails and the VW low profile crossbars fitted by VW. The crossbars are the ones which give very low clearance as they clip into the rails, not on top of the rails. It looks the business and apparently they are rated for 75kg but I’m not convinced about that (they flex a lot!) and in any case I need more clearance to put a 60kg Laser dinghy on the roof (so that the dinghy cleats don't sink into the roof).

My question then is, can I fit other cross bars to the VW roofrails – ie ones which would clip on with Thule feet or similar. And does anyone have any recommendations? VW commercial centres can’t help.

Thanks a lot!

I also have VW roofrails fitted.
I fitted Thule 757 foot packs purchased used on eBay (they come up regularly) and then bought new roof bars of the length I required from Thule.
Looks a bit utilitarian compared to what you have but works well for my needs.

I have a set of the Thule 757 footpacks for sale in the forum with keys if you're interested.
Price includes postage

I have a set of the Thule 757 footpacks for sale in the forum with keys if you're interested.
Price includes postage
Thanks, I'd be interested. Do you know if its possible to just buy new cross bars from Thule which will fit your 757 footpacks?

Hey,

According to Thule website ... I have also read that the footpack is good upto 100kg

Thule 757 Foot Pack​

The Thule 757 Rapid Fit foot pack contains 4 feet that clamp onto raised roof railings (they should be raised enough to be able to get your hand underneath). Installation is made quick and easy with the integrated fitting tool. The 757 is smart, secure and very simple to use with any of the Thule roof bars including Standard Square Bars, Wing Bars, SlideBars and AeroBars.

Back