Diesel heater pick up

Bryn23

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Looking at chucking in a Webasto Diesel heater and can't really follow the normal way of dropping the fuel tank and feeding the pick up in the yellow cap.

Reason, being, there is a wheel chair loader lift mounted below the custom 70 litre fuel tank.. and its a major job to drop both of these items.

Can i pick up of the fuel line going to the engine by putting in a T-fitting and a one way fitting in the Heater fuel line to stop anything being dragged back into the main line.

Other than that, i could look at welding up a small stainless steel diesel tank, thats if i can find any free space under the van, but its a hell of a lot more work than just tapping into an existing line.

any ideas welcome.

Cheers

As far as I’m aware the fuel lines are pressurised so you can’t put in a T piece. If you did t piece in just mind your fuel level as you could run it dry by mistake.

if the lines are pressurised, then it'll cause more issues than its worth.

Ii might have to look at making up a small aluminium tank and fitting it under the van, i think i have a small space in front of the passenger rear wheel arch, CAK waste water tank is in front of spare wheel.

As long as i can get 8-12 litres then that should be enough for 3 nights with, we spend a lot of time on the road, no really into sitting at the same place for a long time, so diesel access is easy.

i might have to pop the diesel filler panel off, as the spot where the Adblue is empty, and that would be an ideal filler location if that is indeed possible.

I can't help with the technicalities of tapping into the main fuel line but if you end up going for a second diesel tank then surely that defeats one of the main benefits of using diesel for heating, i.e. no need to carry additional heater fuel? Would you be better going for an underslung LPG tank for your heating - you could also use this to fuel your BBQ/cooker outside the van??

You can tap into the return line, but if your fuel tank level is low, you will only have about half a litre of fuel to draw on, from the pot at the bottom of the sender, but it will work. Don’t tap into the feed pipe, it is pressurised and could push past the valves in the heater fuel pump, causing all sorts of problems.

I can't help with the technicalities of tapping into the main fuel line but if you end up going for a second diesel tank then surely that defeats one of the main benefits of using diesel for heating, i.e. no need to carry additional heater fuel? Would you be better going for an underslung LPG tank for your heating - you could also use this to fuel your BBQ/cooker outside the van??

Gas over here has to be certified, thats the benefits of diesel heating here.

I've had quite a vehicle that have had have had AUX diesel tanks.

It looks like ill welding up a aux tank when i have the time, thats not an issue, i just was hoping there was an easier solution.

pressured lines are a pain, i did think about the return line, but discarded it due to the reasons you stated.

I was thinking a dual manifold diesel filter from the existing line with a pressure reg, but then it became more work than a aux tank.

Surely removing your lift and dropping the tank is easier than fabricating a new tank, finding somewhere to fit it and making an accessible filler for it?:confused:

i though so as well, but i spoke to the engineer who fitted it, and there is a heap of work involved, its all legally certified, so i can't do it myself, nor can i physically do it.

So there is a lot of coin involved there, $500-1000k just to drop the tank.. it is a lot more complicated than a VW tank drop, the lift alone is 140 kg

I can measure up a aux tank, make it and fit it for about $200

Just wanted to find a easier solution than making up a Aux tank.

I came across this TyreTrek, that is available over here.

It connects to the towbar, and swings out to allow the door to open

Good idea for storing extra water and diesel for when out west and towns are normally min 200 km apart.

It wouldn't be that hard to fit a quick connect fitting, to enable using the 20 ltr diesel jerry can as a fuel supply for a diesel heater.

As long as it is possible for the fuel supply to be higher than the heater?

It also, allows a spare oversize tire and it can be removed and stored when not camping.

Although, the downside is sorting out the reversing sensors and loss of reversing camera.

33809f20-f72b-4464-9688-5df8.JPG

3629db8d-70a0-4a04-9202-5750.JPG

Looks heavy. I’d check the vertical load/ downforce that your towbar is rated for - I think over here they tend to be about 100kg to 125kg. You may be well within this with what you want to do with it but the position of the weight so far out from the van may alter things.

That was my first concern, the weight, but when i watched the install, the guy lifted it and installed it by himself.

I sent an email yesterday on the weight , just waiting for a reply.

The towbar ratings over here are designed and engineered for a 10% load, so 250 kg on my model.

The weight of the spare, two jerrys and the unit would most likely be within the 100-125 kg mark, will know more once i get the tyre trek weight info.

I can't seeing it's be no different to having a load on the towbar with the Towball weight in regards to altering steering or van control.

I also have the Seikel HD Maxi suspension which has a 1845 kg rear axle load rating up from the t32 1720 kg rear axle load

The axle weight rating wont be an issue for you and, with your 250kg ratings on the tow bar, you should be fine there as well.

My main concern would be the position of the load so far back from the tow hitch which will significantly increase the downward pressure on the hitch, pulling it down in a way it was probably not designed for, ie forces pivoting down towards the van rather than straight down, I expect you will still be well within your 250kg though.

The fuel tank can be lower than the heater and the fuel pipe can can be up to 6 metres long. I have done a similar set up on a boat that had a petrol engine, but I wanted a diesel Heater. I used a connector with a shut-off valve either side, so the pipe could be separated and not let air into the system or fuel to leak out (this was so the tank could be refilled off the boat, for environmental reasons). 20 litres is quite a large tank for a heater, you could use something smaller, or maybe you are carrying spare fuel anyway?

With the jerry can on the rear, it is higher than the heater, ill have to double check that issue, I'm not 100% sure if i can have a positive pressure diesel feed from the tank to the heater.

I was thinking about my other idea with a small AUX diesel tank under the van, i could weld it up with an inlet and outlet high up the side of the aux tank, feed it from the diesel return line with a one way valve into the tank and the over flow of the aux tank just reconnects into the main tank.

although i don't know how quick it would fill, relying on the return line to fill, as I'm not aware of the flow rate on a return line on a T6.

just a thought, to save putting in a second filler feed.

Ill have to look at my options later, as I'm heading of to the airport in an hour, Hawaii here i come :D

Back