Deaky’s crafty corner

Deaky

Life’s too short to drink shite beer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
In a beer fuelled eBay session I took a punt on a VW Mk7 DSG steering wheel. It’s the same shape as the std one fitted to my van. I don’t like the ones with the round airbag, the airbag looks like an afterthought stuck in the middle of the wheel.

I won the wheel for £100, only problem was it had a mode button instead of CNL like mine. My idea was to swap the buttons for the buttons on my wheel. On searching the forum @T6 dork post confirmed that the whole centre of the wheel could be swapped. Happy days. A flat bottomed DSG wheel for a ton. If only it had red stitching.......

So I got back on eBay, got some red waxed upholstery twine and set about the wheel. First I removed the centre and the paddles from the back. With a stitch ripper I cut the black stitches and pulled all the threads out.
AE830871-DA59-4611-85D4-BD585E350ACE.jpeg

Using a flat staple lifter I gently prised the leather off the wheel. It’s glued down but not too firmly.

16C0724B-1EE6-4992-AE21-AAFEA2A8CA3F.jpeg

Originally the leather is machine stitched along each edge than hand sewn together around the wheel. Not wanting to remove the leather I had to hand sew it all. Twice on each side

9915F807-6F64-4C24-B25B-31613A8BC9F1.jpeg

One way and then back again

F4F83CCA-F6C7-4B67-82A2-275A5477F2A2.jpeg

After doing both sides of the wheel Yao can then stitch them together. Through the existing stitches along the edges, picking up every other stitch in a diagonal pattern

BCA063B0-B99B-4506-926C-489BEAA4CCC7.jpeg

And there we go, a red stitched wheel.

2D2241BE-F08E-4FC5-BECD-87EF3C3E26CE.jpeg

E908A3C7-61E2-47AD-9DC4-99D190F57EA9.jpeg

Total cost £103.00 and a pack of plasters for my fingers. I have loads of twine left. If anybody fancies a go, pm me your address and I’ll post you some twine :thumbsup:

Still wanting to know if I can move cruise to the wheel instead of my stalk setup so may be interested in the buttons

In a beer fuelled eBay session I took a punt on a VW Mk7 DSG steering wheel. It’s the same shape as the std one fitted to my van. I don’t like the ones with the round airbag, the airbag looks like an afterthought stuck in the middle of the wheel.

I won the wheel for £100, only problem was it had a mode button instead of CNL like mine. My idea was to swap the buttons for the buttons on my wheel. On searching the forum @T6 dork post confirmed that the whole centre of the wheel could be swapped. Happy days. A flat bottomed DSG wheel for a ton. If only it had red stitching.......

So I got back on eBay, got some red waxed upholstery twine and set about the wheel. First I removed the centre and the paddles from the back. With a stitch ripper I cut the black stitches and pulled all the threads out.
View attachment 15372

Using a flat staple lifter I gently prised the leather off the wheel. It’s glued down but not too firmly.

View attachment 15373

Originally the leather is machine stitched along each edge than hand sewn together around the wheel. Not wanting to remove the leather I had to hand sew it all. Twice on each side

View attachment 15374

View attachment 15375

After doing both sides of the wheel Yao can then stitch them together. Through the existing stitches along the edges, picking up every other stitch in a diagonal pattern

View attachment 15376

View attachment 15377

View attachment 15378

Total cost £103.00 and a pack of plasters for my fingers. I have loads of twine left. If anybody fancies a go, pm me your address and I’ll post you some twine :thumbsup:
Great effort there @Deaky. Cracking job. Even if it did leave you with pin cushion fingers. Should’ve used a thimble.

View attachment 15372

View attachment 15373

View attachment 15374

View attachment 15375

View attachment 15376

View attachment 15377

View attachment 15378

Wow, you have a lot more patience than I have, top job :thumbsup:

Back