Dead battery not jump-starting

Texxaco

T6 T32 204 DSG on SoLow 3H Air remapped to 257PS
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
afternoon All,

How do you use the GB40 on a dead battery? I have attached the positive lead to the battery positive and the negative lead to the van hinge bolt. The device says it’s good to go but I can’t get the van to turn over let alone start.

Battery is showing as 11 V at the terminals.

Have I missed anything as I am no sparky.

I have been looking for the instructions for my CB70. I have never used it. It just languishing in its bag I know enough not to put my lips around it and shout stat. I will have to look it up on line.

Hiya

Does a GB40 have enough oomph? Once you've cranked the engine a couple of time, it fades? I'd be more concerned that you're showing 11V on the battery but it's doing nothing.

Regards,

JOG

I just tested the battery at the terminals again and it states 9.48V unless i am doing something very wrong.

I am the wrong guy to be answering anything T6electrotechnical. I understand, (eventually) the bit about charging and conecting to an earth other than direct battery. I am unsure if that is still that same advice for jump-starting!

Me neither, i really need a Sparky on this thread, The battery is an AGM but not a MOLL one which i have read had issues and were replaced.

Anyone help me with my issue please?

i know nothing about this specific charger however a lot of 'smart' chargers don't like to begin charging a flat battery..The quick trick i've always done is when the charger is connected up, connect also jump leads to another (charged) battery or one of those starter packs. whilst connected, your battery volts will jump up to an acceptable level which allows the charger to begin charging. The jumping device can be immediately removed and the battery can be left to charge.

Edit - just re-read, ignore me...you were talking about a jump starter pack, not a battery charger :rolleyes: - serves me right for skim reading!

Last edited:
The manual tells you what to do and what to expect.
Basically connect the leads, then press the on button. The LEDs will illuminate in turn. Start the van.

Pete

Thanks Pete, am i connecting both of the leads to the battery? I though i read that the negative had to be connected to an earth on the van?

But a GB40 may not be man enough for a T6 - it depends how flat your battery is.

Pete

Thanks Pete, am i connecting both of the leads to the battery? I though i read that the negative had to be connected to an earth on the van?
no, whack both leads on the battery. Only issue now is whether the charger has enough left in it

So after all that and reading every thing i could on the AGM battery and the shunt i now see that you put both of the charge leads on the battery and off you go?

The smart charger is now back on charge however when i did try to turn over the engine it did turnover just didnt fire up.

Jeez I still have a lot to learn at nearly 50 :unsure:

For jump starting you always connect direct to battery terminals - gives the best connection.

Pete

So long as someone learns from my mistake, jobs a good un.

Back