Day Van layout

fax001

T6 Pro
We bought a 2016 panel van a few months ago with a view to using it as a day van and for occasional camping trips for the wife and I, along with our daughter.
We have had side windows fitted and the rear is now "de-vanned" and fully insulated and carpet lined.
Having used it as much as we were allowed in the summer it is now time for the next major expense. The rear seating/bed and a small storage/kitchen unit.
The novelty of all 3 of us up front is wearing off. We need some rear seating. We also need a bed instead of an air mattress in the back.
The original plan was to have a small unit behind the drivers seat but we have gone off this idea.
After a considerable amount of research we have come to the conclusion that the optimum layout for our day van is a full width rear seat that converts into a bed with a small kitchen pod mounted behind it, accessible when you open the rear doors. Wife not keen on a narrower bed and we don't need a full side of cupboards.
Clearly, the rear seating needs to be M1 certified.
Much that the Scopema Rib beds look lovely, they do come in with rather a hefty price tag.
Current thoughts are to fit a 1400mm full width Titan Mid Mount space saver rock and roll bed with an EVO Designs Rear Pod 2C behind it.
Although neither supplier will guarantee compatibility they would appear to fit, looking at the drawings both have made available.
The pod is 343mm high. The bed drawings show 350mm clear below the rear cushion when folded down. So it would appear to fit underneath. Pod is 474mm front to back, so there appears to be plenty of space. 675-90=585mm.
EVO Rear Pod 2C Rear-Pod-2-350mm-Line-Drawing.jpg
1611252429621.png
EVO Rear Pod 2C 20190123_151539.jpg
EVO Rear Pod 2C 20190123_151508.jpg
EVO Rear Pod 2C 20190123_151305.jpg
The Titan bed and EVO pod unit appears to provide reasonable value and should give us the functionality that we are seeking.
Is there anyone out there with experience of this set up or something similar? Keen to have any thoughts before I take the plunge and commit to the expense.
Thank you, in anticipation.

Hi

I can’t answer your question on experience of these seats but I am at the same point of making the decision. I have a swb pannel van and want a full width bed. I am going for a fridge behind the drivers seat with a sink on top. Then a 112cm wide Rib bed on rails. Then build a cupboard the length of the bed between the fridge cabinet and rear door but at the height of the bed base. Then find some foam that is similar to the bed foam and put in top of the low level cupboard. I am then going to build an extension to the worktop from the fridge unit back that folds down to allow for the full width bed. The advantages of this over installing a full width bed is you get all that important space in the low level cupboard for water tanks and measure battery etc. Also you still get the day van concept of having a fridge and work top in the van. The reason for the seat on rails is so I can use the van for work and get plenty of space behind the seat when pulled forward.

Reactions: CAB
I have also gone down the day van route as I use my van as a daily driver so didn't want to be taking a kitchen with me everytime i go out, plus the extra cost
I don't think we'll ever do a full weeks holiday in it, just the odd night or 2 so a day van made more sense to me, plus i still have a good useable space through the side door
I've just had a full width rock and roll bed supplied and fitted by Rusty Lee's and can recommend them, don't think you would fit a pod under there though, I'm just intending to fit some storage and when we do stay overnight in it I'll be using sites with facilities so should get by ok
I'll post my thread incase any of it helps

Back