Ctek D250se Problems

As an FYI in case this helps anyone. I emailed CTEK support and got the below response regarding this issue (which hasn't resurfaced for me by the way)

Flashing lights does not generally mean that the charger is broken. This explanation is also if green is steady and the orange light is flashing.

It means that there is a bad connection between the charger and the battery, and that can be
1. Visible - like broken leads, dirty battery poles, bad connection when charging via chassis, cable that has become detached from the clamp/eyelet, quick connector that is not accordingly fixed together.

2. not visible, - Sulphation problems, often due to deep discharge or long time with low charge. A sulphated battery has a layer of insulating lead sulphate on the inside. It does not cover the inside fully as you can still detect voltage across the battery. This kind of bad contact is inside the battery, and the charger cannot start charging.

In both cases the charger does attempts to reach the goal, by sending rapid peaks of tension, pulses of energy, until the battery starts to accept the charge. That is the flickering.

What to do?

1. Move the connections a little. Check that the quick connector is properly assembled. Check inside the connectors if the pins are OK. Check all visible possibilities. If connection is established, the charging indication light will be steadily lit.

2.Sulphated battery. Leave the charger connected for maximum 24 hours. If it has not been able to penetrate the sulphate layer after that, the battery is most probably in very bad shape and it might to be best to consider a replacement . If the yellow or green lamp lights steadily, the charger has activated the battery and it will probably work, but it is nevertheless soon at the end of its service life.. Let it charge for a couple of days to boost the power, while being aware at the same time that the battery will soon be dead. There are coarse sulphate crystals which no charger in the world can break down.

The flashing might also be a fault in battery cell if the flashing appears after some hours of charging.

If the battery started charging in the correct way, with the orange lamp, and then starts flashing after a while, this is due to a break somewhere. The easiest explanation is that the connection has simply fallen off, but it could also be a break inside the battery.

If the charger continues to flash no matter what battery you connect it to, it obviously has developed a fault.

Battery or conection problem then....

Yep, like I said it's been fine since but need to get the fluke on it to verify and keep an eye on the LED's everytime I start up the van. Might clean up the earthing point for the ctek and leisure battery under the drivers seat as there is still a lot of factory candy white around it. Also had to earth the ctek battery select cable there as couldn't find a ring terminal to crimp on those pig tails that goes to an M8 ring. Guess I could have just used a fork terminal...

As an FYI in case this helps anyone. I emailed CTEK support and got the below response regarding this issue (which hasn't resurfaced for me by the way)

Flashing lights does not generally mean that the charger is broken. This explanation is also if green is steady and the orange light is flashing.

It means that there is a bad connection between the charger and the battery, and that can be
1. Visible - like broken leads, dirty battery poles, bad connection when charging via chassis, cable that has become detached from the clamp/eyelet, quick connector that is not accordingly fixed together.

2. not visible, - Sulphation problems, often due to deep discharge or long time with low charge. A sulphated battery has a layer of insulating lead sulphate on the inside. It does not cover the inside fully as you can still detect voltage across the battery. This kind of bad contact is inside the battery, and the charger cannot start charging.

In both cases the charger does attempts to reach the goal, by sending rapid peaks of tension, pulses of energy, until the battery starts to accept the charge. That is the flickering.

What to do?

1. Move the connections a little. Check that the quick connector is properly assembled. Check inside the connectors if the pins are OK. Check all visible possibilities. If connection is established, the charging indication light will be steadily lit.

2.Sulphated battery. Leave the charger connected for maximum 24 hours. If it has not been able to penetrate the sulphate layer after that, the battery is most probably in very bad shape and it might to be best to consider a replacement . If the yellow or green lamp lights steadily, the charger has activated the battery and it will probably work, but it is nevertheless soon at the end of its service life.. Let it charge for a couple of days to boost the power, while being aware at the same time that the battery will soon be dead. There are coarse sulphate crystals which no charger in the world can break down.

The flashing might also be a fault in battery cell if the flashing appears after some hours of charging.

If the battery started charging in the correct way, with the orange lamp, and then starts flashing after a while, this is due to a break somewhere. The easiest explanation is that the connection has simply fallen off, but it could also be a break inside the battery.

If the charger continues to flash no matter what battery you connect it to, it obviously has developed a fault.

Thanks for that... Having exactly the same problem. Worked fine as in all lights lit up just how they should. Leisure battery showing charge voltage when engine running, all spot on. Disconnected the consumer/box to allow the folding bed install then after connecting it back up it didn't show the Leisure battery being charged. It had been disconnected for over a week so, I'll look at getting a full charge in the battery and take it from there.

Hi, not sure if I’m having issues or not but wanted to run it by more experienced heads.

On my CtekD250se with everything off and key out the symbol under the ! Light flashes for a few minutes. Is this just the left over charge in it being used before if fades?

When I turn the van on I get the symbol under the ! Come on solid followed by a solid A light and solid battery light. Meters out at 14V.

Sound good to me but wanted to double check.

Back