CTEK D250SE not charging LB

Ostrea

VIP Member
Trawled through past posts but not finding a solution, DC - DC charger not giving out voltage to leisure battery.

2017 T6 102

I have a Ctek 250se charging a Lucas AGM SLA 125ah Battery no Solar power connected.

Ignition off, green power light flashes

Start the engine, green power light goes off, solid Amber light comes on A nothing else showing.

14.7v at starter battery supply coming in to + Ctek

Leisure Battery supply out of Ctek 12.2v CTEK battery monitor showing battery at 67%

- cable from Ctek to Leisure batt - terminal and another from Battery to van body.

Thin red wire working as it should power on with ignition

Thin black wire to Ground.

I have dismantled the whole lot today and gone through every connection checking and double checking, nothing out of place, cables used where originally new jump leads 700amp rating.

Leisure Battery charges ok from the mains CTEK MXS 10 amp charger.

Any pointers to something that I have missed or a troubleshooting guide much appreciated.

9A671B52-B949-42FD-9D32-D4D4357B9385.jpeg

we have found the "CTEK battery monitor" to be very flaky with its readings,

and can dramatically drift way out over time. - are you sure the reading can be trusted or confirmed?

I've since swapped mine all out to BM2`s - Battery Monitoring -- How I Done It --

can you get some multimeter readings to double check the voltage of the LB at rest?

and then with the engine running.?

we have found the "CTEK battery monitor" to be very flaky with its readings,

and can dramatically drift way out over time. - are you sure the reading can be trusted or confirmed?

I've since swapped mine all out to BM2`s - Battery Monitoring -- How I Done It --

can you get some multimeter readings to double check the voltage of the LB at rest?

and then with the engine running.?
Checked both battery’s using multi meter, Leisure battery was fully charged off the mains this morning, I purposely left the lights, fridge, heater running this afternoon to run the leisure battery down a bit to see if split charger would kick in.

Fuse between the CTEK and leisure battery?

Simon
Fuse is ok, stripped it down as I thought that the fuse might not have been making a good contact in the plastic holder, seemed ok, and continuity reading on multimeter.

Having run more tests today, including hooking on to a different battery I decided to open the CETEK up as it’s out of warranty and no response from CTEK despite having sent two requests for help through their online form.

There are three 30amp blade fuses soldered in to the pcb board, one had blown, not easy to remove as the PCs is riveted to the aluminum frame, I cut the old fuse with a dremel and soldered a fuse to the stumps.

Connected it all up the fuse did not blow but the fault still exists, very likely to be something else gone internally.

79019C77-4FAD-45D2-AA27-ECEB0F0C108D.jpeg

Found this online when searching for the internal fuses and this person also after replacing a fuse had to replace a diode also that I believe is just below the fuse you fixed in the picture with the red circle , there symptoms a believe are different from yours but ad mibi have a look at the diode in question just incase

Got to say I am really disappointed in CETEK, they are not the cheapest DC to DC charger but decided to go with their unit as I believed they where the best quality.
mine is out of warranty, can not find a phone number for them no email address and only a customer service form to make enquiry on support, I have filled two of these in the last 10 days with no reply.
No idea where to send it off to see if economical repair is possible.

Got to say I am really disappointed in CETEK, they are not the cheapest DC to DC charger but decided to go with their unit as I believed they where the best quality.
mine is out of warranty, can not find a phone number for them no email address and only a customer service form to make enquiry on support, I have filled two of these in the last 10 days with no reply.
No idea where to send it off to see if economical repair is possible.
they have a twitter account - its amazing how quickly these companies respond to a negative post about customer service

Yes, it’s just a link to a form rather than an email, filled it in twice had two reference numbers with a message that they will get back to me within 2 days, first one 10 days back still no response.
Frustrating these days that you don’t seem to be able to talk direct to a technical person with so many things.

Looking at the future …still got the SA version…my research points towards REDARC as my next dual power charger :)

Yes, it’s just a link to a form rather than an email, filled it in twice had two reference numbers with a message that they will get back to me within 2 days, first one 10 days back still no response.
Frustrating these days that you don’t seem to be able to talk direct to a technical person with so many things.
Definitely not great get technical support theese days , hopefully you will eventually get a reply ,like jimc91 has said if you have Twitter or know of someone with Twitter a would definitely be on it asking for help and explaining that you have not been able to get hold of support

Looking at the future …still got the SA version…my research points towards REDARC as my next dual power charger :)
I have got redarc gear, excellent technical support and replaced a 150w blanket which was 8 months out of warranty period. That surprised me as they didn't have to. My redarc mppt dual bcdc charger is still working as it should after many trips away.
Pricey to buy but usually trouble free, which often works out cheaper in the long run.

Fyiw and additional information I've been testing the ctek d250se.

I've seen that when the unit decided that the leisure battery is full it switches off the LB output.

So you get a green status light and yellow ALT light... But no LB light..... Untill it decided to go charge then the light come back on.

Like this.

1636365677678.png

Last edited:
I still have the SA also and Its not long hit the 4 year mark since being installed and probably just my luck it's been spot on so far , never used the solar mppt yet as at the moment AV never felt the need to but definitely will eventually and am hoping it's not going to die on Me

I still have the SA also and Its not long hit the 4 year mark since being installed and probably just my luck it's been spot on so far , never used the solar mppt yet as at the moment AV never felt the need to but definitely will eventually and am hoping it's not going to die on Me
Solar works great on mine….but as newer batteries become cheaper ( lithium ) the Ctek ( SA ) will go ….due to limited storage space the Redac ( being a dual unit ) is a good replacement ….looked at others but I want reliability… Victron as yet don’t do a dual controller….but the future is Lithium ( unless something new comes along ) …So when it’s broke I’ll fix it….Unfortunately it might be expensive…..but we own Vans…so that’s no shock :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The actual working week in Sweden is just under 30 hours / week. I wouldn’t hold your breathe waiting for a reply.

FYIW . . . a quick google search for PCB pics of the unit.

looks like when any internal fuses blow they take out any number of the protection diodes.

( it could be time to bin it and buy a replacement unit - any idea why the unit failed? )

1636365915250.png1636366190800.png1636365929705.png1636366209003.png1636366014463.png1636366225047.png1636366063194.png

Back