Crumbs! How to keep the rear seat clean?

Susan

T6 Pro
Hello, I am a complete newbie - My van is currently in the process of being converted and I am hoping to collect it next week (so excited!!). I have a question (possibly a silly over eager question - sorry!). My question is how do people keep the rear seat/bed clean when eating in the van? I am having a rib bed fitted which is 112cm wide. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a cover to keep the crumbs off the seat/bed when the kids are eating in the van...I don't fancy the thought of sleeping on toast or biscuit crumbs...and I have one particularly messy eater....I saw some rear seat covers on Amazon that have two loops attached that loop over the rear seat headrests to secure the cover to the seat, but these covers all seem to be for full width rear seats so are probably too wide for the 112cm rib bed. Has anyone found a cover that fits a small rib seat/bed, or do people just cover the seat with a blanket when eating in the van? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My other option is to make my messy eater eat his lunch outside....in the rain... whilst the rest of us are snug in the van - but that may not go down too well with my son...
Thanks a million, Susan

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: CAB
My wife drapes a sarong over the seat and 3 years later seat is still unmarked.
Its tucked in between the seat and back rest.
Easy to remove and wash in washing machine.
Looks ok too.

Hello, I am a complete newbie - My van is currently in the process of being converted and I am hoping to collect it next week (so excited!!). I have a question (possibly a silly over eager question - sorry!). My question is how do people keep the rear seat/bed clean when eating in the van? I am having a rib bed fitted which is 112cm wide. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a cover to keep the crumbs off the seat/bed when the kids are eating in the van...I don't fancy the thought of sleeping on toast or biscuit crumbs...and I have one particularly messy eater....I saw some rear seat covers on Amazon that have two loops attached that loop over the rear seat headrests to secure the cover to the seat, but these covers all seem to be for full width rear seats so are probably too wide for the 112cm rib bed. Has anyone found a cover that fits a small rib seat/bed, or do people just cover the seat with a blanket when eating in the van? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My other option is to make my messy eater eat his lunch outside....in the rain... whilst the rest of us are snug in the van - but that may not go down too well with my son...
Thanks a million, Susan

14 colours
  • Used for bean bags, seats, outdoor furniture, gaiters, tents, hiking, clothing, tarpaulins, covers and many more.
UK fabric supplied my Camo material that i had my matteress covered in great quick service

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a good idea. A sarong would be nice and light - so easy to tuck tightly around the edges of the seat. My son might get to eat in the van yet... Thanks a million - much appreciated

My wife drapes a sarong over the seat and 3 years later seat is still unmarked.
Its tucked in between the seat and back rest.
Easy to remove and wash in washing machine.
Looks ok too.
Same here we have a dog that lays on back seat wife found a blanket that matches decor of course same as mick just whack it in washing machine or give it a shake

And thanks Mud Digger, i will look into that fabric - i like the waterproof quality - a soggy bed sounds even worse than a crumby one.... Thanks so much,

I am also considering banning crisps, toast, biscuits, popcorn - anything that crumbles.... I have a feeling my son may choose to eat outside yet....:thumbsup:

Reactions: CAB
Just be careful it might be your glass of wine that gets spilt your son will ban you and make you drink outside in the rain.....

use your Van to Relax and enjoy it......... you ll be spending all your time cleaning every foot print walked in and all that dust from the tracks.... lol would recommend a outside door rug though it cuts a lot of the dust down

Ha!
Good point about the wine! I never thought of that...:think smile bounce: ... I agree ... I need to relax... but I’m sure I will wipe everything everyday within an inch of it’s life to begin with... And yes - an outdoor rug and wine sounds like the perfect combination and a good recipe for a relaxing trip. Can’t wait to get the van now!!! Thanks for all the advice :thumbsup:

It takes two adults with a wet cloth and a small brush less than 15 minutes to thoroughly clean the inside of a T6 camper. We’ve spent months on the road at a time and it’s good to keep some degree of control over the mess. Treat it like a submarine, put stuff away ready to use, bin the garbage and don’t carry things you don’t need.
But most of all like @Mud Digger says relax and enjoy it.

Wow!! Months on the road!! That sounds amaaaazing! I am so excited!! I can’t wait to get going on our first trip - I might just have to get a bottle of something sparkling and bubbly for the first drink in the van, and I might even let the kids celebrate with a few bags of crisps to eat ...in the awning...;)

lol oh no not bubbly after traveling with it bouncing around in the back it ll be warm .........

But on the other hand it will christen your van all in one go like giving a ship its first send off .....

crumbs in the awning oh no what about the Mice.........

PS we all been there first trip with the new conversion.... it is very exciting plus you have some amazing places to go in the wee green isle ...im jealous i'v been over a few times touring on my motorbike

PS we all been there first trip with the new conversion.... it is very exciting plus you have some amazing places to go in the wee green isle ...im jealous i'v been over a few times touring on my motorbike
Thanks! So many places to go... The thought of setting off on a trip is so tantalising, especially after having been locked down for sooo long.... we’re only allowed inter-county travel from Monday 10th May... and that’s when we’re hope to pick up our van!! I’ll keep you posted! And thanks for the tips about the bubbly and the mice... :D

Thanks! So many places to go... The thought of setting off on a trip is so tantalising, especially after having been locked down for sooo long.... we’re only allowed inter-county travel from Monday 10th May... and that’s when we’re hope to pick up our van!! I’ll keep you posted! And thanks for the tips about the bubbly and the mice... :D
Enjoy it. Been on one trip in ours with two messy crisp and biscuit eating wallet drainers.
My advice is to keep a brush handy and just give it a once over every now and again - plus no shoes inside!
Main thing as said above is relax and enjoy - I’m trying not to be too precious because, although it cost a shit load - the kids don’t know or care about that!

keep us posted how the first trip goes

Back