Crit'Air question

Bit of an odd one, that I can't find the answer to this online.
We have a yellow Crit'Air sticker for our Euro5 T6, which has a personalised plate.
We will be selling the T6 soon :confused: to get a bigger motorhome :)
We want to put the same reg plate on the new vehicle ultimately, and will need a Crit'Air sticker for that, but of course I will be applying for a Crit'Air sticker for a different vehicle with the same reg- is that going to break the French system ? I can't recall what info I had to provide to get the current sticker.

By coincidence, the sticker for a Euro5 and Euro6 diesel is the same, so I could just move the current yellow sticker over to the new vehicle, but someone in France might look the vehicle up.

Anyone know what happens in the situation I have described above ?

Thanks,

Pete
I’d just apply for the new sticker for the new van with the private reg. It’ll either work or it’ll break the French system, either way is a win. If it breaks the system, just use the old sticker & carry the V5 for the new van (you should always carry the original V5 with you when abroad anyway) if you get stopped, show the friendly customer facing gendarmes the V5 & give a Gallic shrug. It seems to work for the locals.

As others have said, for the money involved, why wouldn't you buy one? Personally, I've had one stuck on my van windscreen since they were introduced and when a stone chip suffered in Italy a while ago changed into an ever growing crack and I knew that I would be getting a new screen fitted at some point in near future, I just ordered another one for when it was eventually fitted (the same for my German sticker as well). I say a new screen in the 'near future' but that's turned out to be a bit over-optimistic as I've been waiting quite some time for Autoglass to get their act together in sourcing a new OEM screen to do the job (currently nearly two months in and counting!).

As others have said, for the money involved, why wouldn't you buy one? Personally, I've had one stuck on my van windscreen since they were introduced and when a stone chip suffered in Italy a while ago changed into an ever growing crack and I knew that I would be getting a new screen fitted at some point in near future, I just ordered another one for when it was eventually fitted (the same for my German sticker as well). I say a new screen in the 'near future' but that's turned out to be a bit over-optimistic as I've been waiting quite some time for Autoglass to get their act together in sourcing a new OEM screen to do the job (currently nearly two months in and counting!).
TBF I don’t think that the OP is debating the cost, more like if the French system would accommodate a private plate on a different vehicle. The French don’t have private plates. In a similar vein, there is a new breed of peage appearing in France called “Flux Libre”. These are Autoroutes without toll gates. It’s all ANPR driven & you pay either online or at a pay station at a service aire. We’ve used one twice now & been unable to pay. When we put our private plate into the payment system it comes back as “Registration Number not recognised” or something similar. We’ve never been contacted or fined after the fact. Winner :whistle:

Last edited:
Reactions: JDC
Bearing in mind how little they cost, I decided to get one before a trip to France a couple of years ago, even though I did not expect to need one given my planned route.
Some built up areas require them all the time. Others apparently bring in the requirement periodically, if air quality deteriorates.
  • Permanent low-emission zones (known as ZCR – Zone à Circulation Restreinte)
  • Temporary emergency low-emissions zones (known as ZPA – Zone de la Protection de l’Air)
My 66 plate van in Euro 6 diesel so is a yellow Crit’Air 2.

RAC has a useful guide:

Crit'Air clean air stickers - need to know for driving in France | RAC Drive

With the law change in France we explain what the 'Crit'Air' clean air stickers are, where they're used, how to get one and what happens if you don't
www.rac.co.uk
www.rac.co.uk

Decided that it was best to get one for a few Euros (€3.11 + €0.66 postage), just in case, rather than risk the potential of an on the spot fine of between €68 and €135.

Simple process to apply for one on the French government website

Le site officiel de la vignette Crit'Air (certificat qualité de l'air) - Ministère de la Transition écologique

Le seul site officiel à délivrer la vignette Crit’Air (certificat qualité de l’air), établie en fonction des émissions polluantes du véhicule.
www.certificat-air.gouv.fr
Most difficult bit is getting it off the letter when it arrives and fixing it to the windscreen.
NOTE - They are very specific about where it goes. Wrong place is the same as not having one!
So far as I know they don't expire, so made sense to simply get one.

€3.77 including postage versus risking a fine from an unhappy French policeman. Not really a difficult choice. One less thing for them to pick upon an English motorist for.

Just to round this off. As we aren't planning to go to France straight away in the new vehicle, we have stuck the personalised plate on immediately, and will see what happens in a few months when we apply again.

Regarding the point about the stickers being hard to remove - they are, until you properly dampen it with a wet cloth wedged against it, then it comes off easily with a plastic scraper.

Thanks,

Pete

Just to round this off. As we aren't planning to go to France straight away in the new vehicle, we have stuck the personalised plate on immediately, and will see what happens in a few months when we apply again.

Regarding the point about the stickers being hard to remove - they are, until you properly dampen it with a wet cloth wedged against it, then it comes off easily with a plastic scraper.

Thanks,

Pete
My top tip. Apply new one to a piece of clear plastic then use something like the Skoda parking ticket clip to hold it in place when you need it and remove it when you don't. Mine has been in my glovebox for the last 6 trips to Paris including one last week along with my beam deflectors.

........ along with my beam deflectors.
Apologies for taking this off at a bit of a tangent, but with regard to the beam deflectors, has anyone got or can anyone provide a pic showing where specifically they should be put, for maximum effect, on a T6 with standard factory headlights?

Cheers.

Apologies for taking this off at a bit of a tangent, but with regard to the beam deflectors, has anyone got or can anyone provide a pic showing where specifically they should be put, for maximum effect, on a T6 with standard factory headlights?

Cheers.
This comes in the instructions that accompany the deflectors. Where you put them may depend on the actual brand of deflector.

Pete

This comes in the instructions that accompany the deflectors. Where you put them may depend on the actual brand of deflector.

Pete
Cheers Pete, hoping to take mine abroad next month for its first euro road trip.

Back