Crafter /Man egr problems ?

shropschris

Industrial furniture manufacturer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi folks anyone had the same Egr problems , as the T6 ?
we are thinking of a new 140 mwb for the business , thought I would ask before we do the deal

We had a problem on my T6 once ( in Spain!!) but were well looked after with a local VW forced regen which sorted it.

I’ve 27k miles on my 2018 140 Crafter and I’m reluctant to answer, so I’ll say it quietly….

No, all great so far…

hope that’s the type of feedback you are after.

Last edited:
Mine on 70k ish now. At 50k plus developed a egr cooler leak into exhaust. The coolant disappears without trace, and holds well on pressure test. When hot, the egr cooler opens up a leak to the exhaust side, eventually leaking into the exhaust. The glycol damaged the dpf, and after numerous test and code re appearing, I went to Germany and bought a new dpf from vw and fitted it myself. Took 1hr to take of, and 1/2 to re fit.
I did fix the egr cooler leak before the dpf change, by changing the cooler with a used second hand for 240. A new cooler is 500 euros. In UK didn’t even tried as none in stock.
Hope this helps.
Also I forgot, the dpf pressure sensor, had no clips on the rubber lines, somebody forgot? I fitted two stainless to be sure no faulty pressure readings will trigger a fault in the future.

Mine on 70k ish now. At 50k plus developed a egr cooler leak into exhaust. The coolant disappears without trace, and holds well on pressure test. When hot, the egr cooler opens up a leak to the exhaust side, eventually leaking into the exhaust. The glycol damaged the dpf, and after numerous test and code re appearing, I went to Germany and bought a new dpf from vw and fitted it myself. Took 1hr to take of, and 1/2 to re fit.
I did fix the egr cooler leak before the dpf change, by changing the cooler with a used second hand for 240. A new cooler is 500 euros. In UK didn’t even tried as none in stock.
Hope this helps.
Also I forgot, the dpf pressure sensor, had no clips on the rubber lines, somebody forgot? I fitted two stainless to be sure no faulty pressure readings will trigger a fault in the future.
It got to the exhaust via the combustion chambers, high pressure wet steam in the engine is more serious than a damaged DPF.

It got to the exhaust via the combustion chambers, high pressure wet steam in the engine is more serious than a damaged DPF.
The cooler has intercalated separate sides. One side is coolant circuit, the other is exhaust gases that pas trough the cooler and to the egr. When egr is closed, the coolant leaks into the exhaust side, It happened before, I’m not the first. It may be possible when the egr opens, some of the coolant could be pulled with the gases via egr onto combustion track.
Never the less the egr cooler leak totalled the dpf core.

The cooler has intercalated separate sides. One side is coolant circuit, the other is exhaust gases that pas trough the cooler and to the egr. When egr is closed, the coolant leaks into the exhaust side, It happened before, I’m not the first. It may be possible when the egr opens, some of the coolant could be pulled with the gases via egr onto combustion track.
Never the less the egr cooler leak totalled the dpf core.
Any coolant that has leaking internally in an EGR cooler goes through the engine, there is no alternative route unless the engine is stopped.

We had a problem on my T6 once ( in Spain!!) but were well looked after with a local VW forced regen which sorted it.

I’ve 27k miles on my 2018 140 Crafter and I’m reluctant to answer, so I’ll say it quietly….

No, all great so far…

hope that’s the type of feedback you are after.
I have 38000 on my 2018 crafter and it’s out of warranty about 4 weeks ago it started loosing coolant without a leak.
When’s in last week for a pressure test and it’s the EGR cooler split.
My dealership asked be for support and VW came back and have told them that they will pay for it To be fixed as a good will gesture.

Any coolant that has leaking internally in an EGR cooler goes through the engine, there is no alternative route unless the engine is stopped.
Maybe I have misunderstood something but EGR Is exhaust gas so why would it be going to the air intake prior to combustion? The EGR is designed to use exhaust gas to heat the engine via the coolant system quicker to keep exhaust emmissions down. There is nothing there that says to me air intake before combustion.... its exhaust which is after combustion. Unless I have been lied to and EGR means something totally different?
OR
are you saying that the coolant itself runs through the engine? we all know that surely but we are talking about the coolant leaking into the exhaust rather then exhaust leaking into coolant

The R stands for recirculation. As I understand it, the EGR does recirculate some exhaust gases back into the intake.

So if the EGR is leaking coolant internally, it can only go back into the intake.

Pete

I have no idea how it works they just told me it was the cooler and it was leaking they didn’t say whether it was going into the exhaust or the engine.
It isn’t leaking since it went back in so I assume they have blanked it off until it gets replaced.

Maybe I have misunderstood something but EGR Is exhaust gas so why would it be going to the air intake prior to combustion? The EGR is designed to use exhaust gas to heat the engine via the coolant system quicker to keep exhaust emmissions down. There is nothing there that says to me air intake before combustion.... its exhaust which is after combustion. Unless I have been lied to and EGR means something totally different?
OR
are you saying that the coolant itself runs through the engine? we all know that surely but we are talking about the coolant leaking into the exhaust rather then exhaust leaking into coolant
The EGR directs cooled exhaust gas into the combustion chambers to cool combustion which results in less NOX emissions.
I was pointing out that any internal leak on the EGR cooler is also going to be directed through the induction and the combustion chambers.

The EGR directs cooled exhaust gas into the combustion chambers to cool combustion which results in less NOX emissions.
I was pointing out that any internal leak on the EGR cooler is also going to be directed through the induction and the combustion chambers.
I think I need to watch some videos to understand it. lol :thumbsup:
o_O

A small portion of the exhaust gas is redirected to a variable valve , the valve opens and closes according to a wide set of scenarios. As its exhaust gas the gas goes through a cooler . 1 to cool the gas andv2 to heat up the coolant system quicker when it's cold. The combined valve and cooler unit is normally just called the egr. One the gas passes through the cooler a pipe leads it to the intake and then it gets mixed with the normal.intake air... this is also part of the emissions reduction

The problem occurs when the exhaust gas containing soot is mixed with the engine oil breather mist. You end up with a sticky mess and apart from the known coolant leaking coolers, the resulting sticky mess clogs up the egr cooler and pipework.

See here for the results

Everythings going wrong! EGR pipes and sticking inlet manfold flap valves link?

I think what was going through my mind was
Exhaust gas goes into the egr, heats the coolant and then goes back out the exhaust, I did not realise it would go back into the intake. In my mind, an engine needs nice clean cold air to run optimally so the thought of dirty, warmish, less oxygenated air going into the engine didnt cross my mind. It seems I was completely wrong and this clearly helps and works as we use them. learn something new every day

No sorry, I looked at various options and will try a provent 200 copy as a test on a t6. Best to have a look for mounting options and go from there.

My van has the engine light on and when plugged in it says it’s the glow plug/ plugs.
VW won’t just short of £450 to replace them ?.
It’s in on Friday for the EGR cooler to be replaced could this be the reason the glow plugs have failed or is it the Egr problem that is making the light come on?.
Are the glow plugs a simple job and should I just go to a local garage to have them replace ?.
Cheers

My van has the engine light on and when plugged in it says it’s the glow plug/ plugs.
VW won’t just short of £450 to replace them ?.
It’s in on Friday for the EGR cooler to be replaced could this be the reason the glow plugs have failed or is it the Egr problem that is making the light come on?.
Are the glow plugs a simple job and should I just go to a local garage to have them replace ?.
Cheers
The fault codes will reveal what the issue is, nothing should be renewed before they are read. It’s highly unlikely that all 4 glow plugs have failed, a check can be made by checking the resistance with a multi meter, one of the glow plugs is also a pressure sensor.
The EGR valve has nothing to do with the glow plugs.

Back