Cracking Sound from Roof

tonywl

Our 6 month old T6.1 CamperKing conversion has developed a strange sound coming from the roof. Whenever a front wheel goes over a pothole / deep drain cover / etc. there’s a sharp sound like a crack from the front roof area. Only when it happens on one wheel so I presume the chassis is flexing slightly and it’s not the pop top as we can make it happen driving slowly around a yard with the pop top up. I’d be grateful for any ideas or suggestions.

Contact CamperKing by email and log the fault so you have a record. Make sure you get a reply.
Try and video the noise and keep as a record, Timestamp Camera is a good app for this.

Is there a spoiler glued on in front of the roof? Has the roof slid forward a bit so the pop-top is rubbing on the spoiler, or even starting to push it off?

Contact CamperKing by email and log the fault so you have a record. Make sure you get a reply.
Try and video the noise and keep as a record, Timestamp Camera is a good app for this.
Thanks. Good suggestion.

Is there a spoiler glued on in front of the roof? Has the roof slid forward a bit so the pop-top is rubbing on the spoiler, or even starting to push it off?
No spoiler. And I don’t think it’s the pop top because it does it with the pop top up and if someone stands between the front seats, the noise is coming from below (I.e. the van roof). Thanks.

No spoiler. And I don’t think it’s the pop top because it does it with the pop top up and if someone stands between the front seats, the noise is coming from below (I.e. the van roof). Thanks.
No idea what roofs CamperKing install but I’m pretty sure they all have either an insert like a Reimo easi-fit or stiffeners.
I’d take a wild guess and say that a stiffener is no longer attached as it should be.
It’s under warranty, IMO don’t let anybody else work on it as it may void the warranty, get it back to CamperKing and preferably watch them investigate.

Also, haven’t people in the past had creaks and clanks from the joints in the corners in the strengthening frame if it’s not been riveted/fastened together properly. That may explain why the noise still occurs even with the pop top up, and also when the van flexes slightly.

Back