Cost of new conversion - comparison

Hi all! New to the forum, trying to gather as much info as possible with the intention of purchasing a T6 LWB DSG early next year, will be registered in the Netherlands where I'm currently located.

I appreciate it's a very open ended question but I'm trying to establish which route to take - buy a panel van and start from scratch or (more likely) to buy a partially converted day van and add a pop top and full kitchen etc.

What I'd like to know is: Roughly speaking, if I were to start from scratch vs buying an already fully converted van, am I likely to see any real savings financially? I understand that building it to my own spec. has obvious advantages but the benjamin's are my priority at this point. Thanks!

We do both but generally if you have your van converted you have control over colours, van spec, roof spec, seat spec etc so you can choose the parts which are important to you. There may be a saving but on already converted vans they are typically 'standard' conversions. If you want something bespoke, the chances of finding your 'spec' will be difficult.

Thanks for the reply! If I'm honest, I'm a perfectionist and I'd settle for a colour that wasn't my first choice for example, over a less than perfect workmanship. I'm technically minded and qualified but there's no way I'm cutting the roof off a 20k van on my driveway! (No offence to those that are braver than me).

From reading bits on the forum it seems that lead time could be an issue, don't want to wait months for work to be carried out. Is starting with a day van that's partially converted (insulated/power/heated) and personalising from there a financially viable option in your opinion @Eclipse Campers ?

Thanks for the reply! If I'm honest, I'm a perfectionist and I'd settle for a colour that wasn't my first choice for example, over a less than perfect workmanship. I'm technically minded and qualified but there's no way I'm cutting the roof off a 20k van on my driveway! (No offence to those that are braver than me).

From reading bits on the forum it seems that lead time could be an issue, don't want to wait months for work to be carried out. Is starting with a day van that's partially converted (insulated/power/heated) and personalising from there a financially viable option in your opinion @Eclipse Campers ?
It will always cost more overall converting a van which is partially converted. Removing lining, insulation etc for running cables in. Also some items need to be completed in a certain order to achieve best results. ts all do able though. Personally I would start with a good panel van and go from there. You can convert bits as you go and we do it often for our customers converting in stages. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We converted a van ourselves as we couldn’t find the spec van we wanted. We didn‘t want anything unusual, we just didn’t like what we saw enough.

Pete

Welcome to the forum @NTHOMSON84 .. Like yourself i'm a bit of a perfectionist, technically minded and I've only got one chance at this; I started my journey thinking i could find the van pre-converted that i wanted... turns out that's almost impossible! A bit of research later when you've worked out exactly what you want/need it becomes even harder than that... So, moved on to finding a base van, that's the next problem.. all of the vans i saw advertised were already sold when i phoned up to inquire. In the end i got lucky with VW van center... base van sorted!

When i started looking, my budget was around two thirds of where it is now and like yourself i was looking at the 20k mark for a van... Turns out that wasn't what i wanted, so here i am now with a 2 month old T6.1 base van, wheel, suspension and body modifications all booked in for next week and a conversion booked in for Feb next year.

Question is, do you know exactly what you want? I certainly didn't when i started this but this Forum has been absoluting amazing!

Last edited:
Thanks @Jlo. Ahh I can see this being a rabbit hole that's going to consume ALL my head space for the coming months... happy days ha. Originally was going to go for a SWB t6 for moving my bikes about and as a daily and drag a caravan but because of the Wegbelasting (road tax) system in the Netherlands, a camper makes more sense. Will probably just fit a a carrier for the MX bike, saves getting the van full of sand anyway! There are strict guidelines as to what constitutes as a camper here (in order to benefit from the lower tax bracket), one of which is a min 2m interior height.. pop top incoming. Other than that, I have no specifics so I'll keep an eye out and see if anything comes up, failing that I'll just sorce a panel van and go for it! Cheers.

Whatever you spec up for your conversion ( unless you have unlimited budget ) will not be enough bcause when you acually use the converted camper and see what other people have there will be no end to what you want .. speaking from experience of having a panel van converted with what I thought and budget would take and then adding / modding myself to suit further nice to have requirements as e.g. List below ( Some are van .. some are campervan related)
Removable swivel table B pillar and C pillar
Solar Panel and Controller
External water fill connection ( to avoid removing water carrier to fill ... heavy and awkward)
External gas point for Cadaq or other gas BBQ .. ( cadaq A must have )
THQ Headlights as replacement of H4 candles
Additional LED DRL,s
Thule Bike Rack
Motorized Rock n roll Bed Operation
Internal cupboard 12v lights
Van battery voltage monitor
Leisure battery voltage monitor
Fiamma Awning
Vango drive away awning
MFSW
Rear view camera + Stereo Upgrade
Speaker Upgade + additional speakers
Additional pop top matress
Additional internal lighting ( switched from sliding door for dark night ease of entry )
Additional door locking button for nighttime camping operation
Replacement alloys for ( Van Steels)
Lowering Springs
Relocated internal table stowage on tailgate
Above side window additional storage cupboard with lights
Additional glass to tailgate ... was a panelvan .. no rear glass
Side bars
Puddle lights
Footwell lights
Overhead cab lights
Additional 12V sockets for USB charging
Front splitter
Etc.. etc...

You get the idea .. these seem to be never ending .. have deep pockets is what I'll say but it can all be done over time .. get the conversion bits right or where you do not need to disturb for new wiring etc...

Some of the bits you will miss and they will come with experience .. good luck

You wouldn't save any money buying a pre converted van - you'd effectively be paying for all the labour someone else did which will be factored into the price you pay for the van. Unless someone decides to sell you a van not including the man hours.

If you are only wanting a roof and windows fitted instead of a whole conversion, then there may be fitters with slots available to do this. I would decide on a roof then look for a company that fits those and see what availablity you have - starting by contacting the roof manufacturer for a list of fitters they work with. Most of the talk on here about low availabilty is referring to conversion companies (the very popular ones) who do the whole conversion.

@GeekGrimmy Thanks for the input. I'm possibly missing the point but if it were a choice to buy a decant spec t6 with a pro install for the same money I could build one myself, I'd take the lazy route. I know how I am and from the info I've picked up so far, I'd burry too much thought into the "perfect' setup and drive myself mad! Also means I can start to use it as a camper straight away (and pay less tax as mentioned). To give you an idea, a t6 panel van registered to a private owner in NL is over 2000 euros a year, a camper from the same van is a quarter of that! The sooner I can get it onto a camper licence the better. Could also be good to learn what I do and don't want and build a 6.1 a year later.

One concern with building my own is that I'd lose more money if and when I moved it on compared to buying one already converted but from what you're saying, that's not the case - good to know. Cheers

We started off with a budget of £32,000 for a low mileage fully converted T6 but there was always something lacking or wrong with all we saw. So in the end we bought a 19 plate T6 Highline with less than 10k miles, gave it to a conversion company to spec it how we wanted and it's cost us £48k but we have the perfect van for us.

Or we will have on Thursday when it arrives!

Unless you are very lucky, whichever route you choose is going to either require a compromise on wants or an injection of cash. Either way, know your essentials and be prepared to resist temptation...

Or just throw yourself into it knowing it will all be worth it in the end.

Enjoy.

@GeekGrimmy Thanks for the input. I'm possibly missing the point but if it were a choice to buy a decant spec t6 with a pro install for the same money I could build one myself, I'd take the lazy route.

You wouldn't be able to buy one at the same price you'd build one though? If its the same van (age, mileage, spec, etc) and the same components in the conversion then the 'pro install' will be more expensive due to the labour they will be including in the price. This is presuming you want a 'new' conversion, ie build it yourself or have someone build it for you and you are the first owner.

:slow rofl:'Perfect' Mmmm.... from my experience .. theres always something else you will want.. or need its not over till the fat lady sings or the sausage and mash runs out

Back