cooling fans

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
drove from windermere to Keswick today........a cool, wet day. Journey of approx. 15 miles with no traffic. When I got to windermere, the cooling fans were on. My BMW's hardly ever came on. Just seems like the cooling fans come on a lot.

They do there's another post on this somewhere, I can do a short trip on cool day and the fan comes on when I park up, was concerned at first but it seems common to do this so no worries.

I've just got off the phone to the dealer regarding this and the burning smell when the fans are running, he said it is most definitely the DPF Regen happening and as the temperature is around 700 degrees, when you turn it off halfway through the fans go nuts. He has advised if this happens to get it out on a decent run as soon as poss and get the revs up 3000. Mine has does it quite a few times now on short round town journeys

I've heard a really loud fan running along with a slightly different sound a couple of times now, when I turn the engine off . WOW what a bloody row.
I think it is defiantly the dpf, which keeps regenerating even when the engine is turned off part way through the cycle.
I was walking away from it on Saturday, and chap shouted after me, I think he thought it was about to explode.
In real world use, apparently it can be regenerating every 200miles or so.
mmmmm, wonder it VW will warranted it for the 5years I've purcheased?:confused::confused:

The regen can't happen without the engine running but it will be very hot so the fan is programmed to run on for so many minutes to make sure there is no build up of heat after you stop

The time you need to worry is when they don't come on and there is smoke bellowing from under the bonnet. But seriously no new VW I have had likes short journeys and fan comes on when you wouldn't expect it usually. Just trust your VW, it's doing its job.

The time you need to worry is when they don't come on and there is smoke bellowing from under the bonnet. But seriously no new VW I have had likes short journeys and fan comes on when you wouldn't expect it usually. Just trust your VW, it's doing its job.
Whilst it keeps doing its job, I'm fine, just remember all those T5.1, when it stopped doing it's job:mad::eek::devil:

Back