Overheat - Cooling fan relay/fuse location.

T6jack

Hi all, long time reader first time poster here.

I have a 2016 T6 and morning after a few hours sitting in the traffic caused my Dartford protesters my van overheated with white steam bellowing out from under the bonnet. No warning lights was display but pulled over straight away I decided to turn back and had a steady drive home hoping my VW guy can look but he can't until Friday. The drive home was no trouble but I realised I haven't heard the fan running when I've finished a drive and walking away from the van in quite a while now. I had my timing belt and fuel pump change 2 weeks ago. Could it be something to do wth this? I believe there is some fuses and relays are under the battery? Would any of these be the fuse/ relay for the cooling fan? Could anyone be able to pinpoint the exact fuse/relay to check? Coolant level seem correct. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Find out if the mechanic vacuum filled the coolant after the water pump replacement (assuming it was done with the timing belt), very easy to get airlocks otherwise.

Also should my overheat warning light have came on at some point? When I turn the key to the first position it shows on the dash for a second so I attest know there is a lamp for this reason but it didn't show at any point in my adventure

Hi all, long time reader first time poster here.

I have a 2016 T6 and morning after a few hours sitting in the traffic caused my Dartford protesters my van overheated with white steam bellowing out from under the bonnet. No warning lights was display but pulled over straight away I decided to turn back and had a steady drive home hoping my VW guy can look but he can't until Friday. The drive home was no trouble but I realised I haven't heard the fan running when I've finished a drive and walking away from the van in quite a while now. I had my timing belt and fuel pump change 2 weeks ago. Could it be something to do wth this? I believe there is some fuses and relays are under the battery? Would any of these be the fuse/ relay for the cooling fan? Could anyone be able to pinpoint the exact fuse/relay to check? Coolant level seem correct. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
I meant water pump

Find out if the mechanic vacuum filled the coolant after the water pump replacement (assuming it was done with the timing belt), very easy to get airlocks otherwise.
Thanks for that I will ask in the morning.

Also should my overheat warning light have came on at some point? When I turn the key to the first position it shows on the dash for a second so I attest know there is a lamp for this reason but it didn't show at any point in my adventure
Don’t you have a gauge for coolant temperature, normally at 90 deg C?

Don’t you have a gauge for coolant temperature, normally at 90 deg C?
No there isn't on the dash, after reading through posts on here apparently this is comon with the startline. Which I can't quite get my heat around.

Sounds to me like you have an airlock. Gone are the days of filling the expansion tank and squeezing the top hose till the bubbles stop.

The mechanic called me today and said the fan is now running but it has a mind of its own and a new fan is required. Does this sound right or could it be a switch controlling the fan? I thought the fan old be knackered if it had power but not running?

‘Mind of it’s own‘ doesn‘t sound like a mechanics diagnosis, it could easily be the sensor or the wiring loom. If the fan runs ok on a separate 12v feed it’s good.

Back