Coolant temperature sensor

Tinymartin

Hi all, I have a 69 plate vw transporter and I have the EML on and get the code p218500 coolant temperature sensor 2 circuit high. Can you please confirm there are three sensors? One below the radiator, one in the block (i have changed both) and I think the other near the aux coolant pump. Can anyone please tell me if this code relates to the last sensor. Thanks in advance.

Wiring to the sensor? Unplug the sensor. Please verify that you have exactly 5.00 Volts at pin 1 (red) and solid ground at pin 2 (brown).

If I don't have 5v to one of the sensors can I bridge 5v from another sensor or somewhere else?
Wiring to the sensor? Unplug the sensor. Please verify that you have exactly 5.00 Volts at pin 1 (red) and solid ground at pin 2 (brown).

If I don't have 5v to one of the sensors can I bridge 5v from another sensor or somewhere else?
No, the wire at connector pin 1 is ECU's "sensing" line - not a power (the simply shows as 5 Volts when open, less when connected as the sensors "pulls" the voltage down). Every sensor has it's own sensing line.

The missing 5 Volts at open connector means that also the ECU can't see the sensor - a wiring break somewhere between the connector and ECU. Of course could be the ECU itself at fault (not likely) - would indicate as e.g. "reference voltage" fault.

G83 you say?..... :rolleyes: Suspected broken wires, sign up to the club below;

Did you you find this fault I have the same issue. No ref voltage on pin1 when disconnected for sensor. New sensor fitted also

Back