Coolant goes down, triggers alert, but bubbles back up when cap is removed

Ondro05

Hello guys!

How are you all? I hope your T6 runs smooth :)

I have on my Multivan wierd problem maybe someone from you could help me. Computer alerts me that doesn’t have enough coolant. When I look under the hood it really looks like that. Coolant level is very low. When I open the coolant tank, gas come out and coolant raise much over maximum.

This is actually fourth time it already happened.

We have been already in service with it but they evidently don’t have any idea what is happening. Another symptom is some white mold on cap from oil. In service told us that it is normal (white mold on cap from oil) and just change some hose that goes from coolant tank.

Does have anyone from you experience with something like this? It has just 70 000km….

As above, sounds like coolant level is low when cold but rises when warm
I would leave overnight to cool down fully then top up as required

I have on my Multivan wierd problem maybe someone from you could help me. Computer alerts me that doesn’t have enough coolant. When I look under the hood it really looks like that. Coolant level is very low. When I open the coolant tank, gas come out and coolant raise much over maximum.

Ok, if you check the coolant like this when hot, the gas coming out is due to the system being hot, and the coolant will realease as its under pressure..

As said before by others.. Make sure vehicle is cold, and fluid level is correct (handbook will tell you the process).. Then drive it, do not open cap..

When hot if it still warns, stop vehicle, check level.. Do NOT open cap whilst hot, you can burn yourself VERY badly.. Instead wait for it to cool, and see below.

If it has gone down past minimum, and you have been warned coolant low.. You probably have an air lock.. Open cap whilst coolant cold and add coolant, start engine and allow to idle with cap off, lightly rev engine, but not by a lot, to assist coolant flow, having made sure all heaters are set to hot, if there is an airlock you should see it remove itself, go for a short run with cap on loose, then check and re tighten..

If this is still problems, get the coolant system vacum bled..

Oil in coolant tank indicates head gasket, oil mulch on oil filler cap is normal with the t6 euro 6 engine, but not so much on the euro 5.. Check dipstick, Mayo or white stuff or water here is NOT good, one owner has experienced this issue iirc.. and it's back to dealership time for them to sort..

Last edited:
Hello guys!

How are you all? I hope your T6 runs smooth :)

This is actually fourth time it already happened.

We have been already in service with it but they evidently don’t have any idea what is happening. Another symptom is some white mold on cap from oil. In service told us that it is normal (white mold on cap from oil) and just change some hose that goes from coolant tank.

Does have anyone from you experience with something like this? It has just 70 000km….
Hi, any update on your solution? I may have the same/similar issue.
Thanks

Hello Everybody ,

I have
Shuttle SE LWB EU6 150 PS 2.0 TDI BMT 6sp Manual.

I have Same issue with the coolant system. Everyday Coolant light comes up when i am going to started the engine. I opened the bonnet to check Level was went down. then I opened the Cap level comes up. That’s Problem Comes everyday. I showed to dealership and kept car more then 20 days couldn’t find the fault.

As its a shuttle, see you can check the rear heat rad. Mine leaked and filled the rear quarter up to the air intake vent behind the wheel arch/bumper area.

Reactions: DXX
Just jumping on the back of this, I'm having the same issue at the monent. T6 102 5speed euro 6. Has anyone found a fix to this yet?

Hi Rory93, did you manage to sort out your T6? I seem to have the same symptoms as you.
I have had the EGR cooler replaced and the problem seems to still be there.
Even when it is cold I remove the header cap, but it is still under pressure.
Thanks in advance
Tony

Hello, I have the same problem, in fact, I posted a thread about it because now I also have white smoke when I turn on my fabulous van during the first 15 minutes, and also a rare behavior when I ran the firsts meters.... :( I think that is related to the EGR cooler, that I'm going to bypass the coolant pipes to do a test...

Hi Rory93, did you manage to sort out your T6? I seem to have the same symptoms as you.
I have had the EGR cooler replaced and the problem seems to still be there.
Even when it is cold I remove the header cap, but it is still under pressure.
Thanks in advance
Tony
hi did you find out what the problem is my 2017 transporter is doing the same the dealer hasnt a clue??

Hi Gary,
Yes I found the issue, the head gasket had blown ever so slightly. Sniff tested the expansion tank which showed combustion gases in the cooling system. Removed the cylinder head and found small track marks from Cylinder 3 to 4. Head had a slight warp to it which the machine shop skimmed out with minimal material removed. Head was pressure tested and came back okay. So yeah, purely down to head gasket failure.
I'd start by getting the cooling system sniff tested, there not always the most accurate thing in the word but in my case if showed it straight away

In total it cost me about £700 but that was purely parts, I.e headgasket, head bolts, manifold gaskets, egr gaskets ect. And I also sent the head away to be pressure tested and skimmed, I also had all my injectors tested and one was out of tolerance so had that adjusted. The headshops bill came to £280ish. The 700 included this 280. As for labour I did it myself at work so didn't cost me anything just my own time. It took me about 11 hours from start to finish, I don't know what the book time is for this but my give you a reference for a labour cost

In total it cost me about £700 but that was purely parts, I.e headgasket, head bolts, manifold gaskets, egr gaskets ect. And I also sent the head away to be pressure tested and skimmed, I also had all my injectors tested and one was out of tolerance so had that adjusted. The headshops bill came to £280ish. The 700 included this 280. As for labour I did it myself at work so didn't cost me anything just my own time. It took me about 11 hours from start to finish, I don't know what the book time is for this but my give you a reference for a labour cost
Hey Rory.
Just like yourself and many many others on here, I have exactly the same issue and have accepted that there must be an unseen leak that causes the vacuum on the coolant, keeping it short of the full mark until the cap is opened. This has been going on for a while now. I too did a gas in coolant test which returned a contaminated result and I’ve just lived with it.
More recently, VW did pressure tests and said all was ok and was happy to let me have it back without actually rectifying the loss in coolant. I wasn’t happy with that answer and asked them to try something else, so they did remove the injectors or glow plugs and found cylinder 3 had coolant in it.
They explained it could be a hairline crack in the head or the head gasket broken and wanted £1000’s if it was the cracked head.
I declined and took the van home.
Now to my questions:
1. You say you carried out the work yourself, does that mean you know about mechanics?
2. Did you need any VW specific tools?
3. Did you need VAGS input to complete the job?
4. Name and address of where you had the head skimmed please.
5. Where did you source your parts from?
Much appreciated

Hey Rory.
Just like yourself and many many others on here, I have exactly the same issue and have accepted that there must be an unseen leak that causes the vacuum on the coolant, keeping it short of the full mark until the cap is opened. This has been going on for a while now. I too did a gas in coolant test which returned a contaminated result and I’ve just lived with it.
More recently, VW did pressure tests and said all was ok and was happy to let me have it back without actually rectifying the loss in coolant. I wasn’t happy with that answer and asked them to try something else, so they did remove the injectors or glow plugs and found cylinder 3 had coolant in it.
They explained it could be a hairline crack in the head or the head gasket broken and wanted £1000’s if it was the cracked head.
I declined and took the van home.
Now to my questions:
1. You say you carried out the work yourself, does that mean you know about mechanics?
2. Did you need any VW specific tools?
3. Did you need VAGS input to complete the job?
4. Name and address of where you had the head skimmed please.
5. Where did you source your parts from?
Much appreciated
@phantom-uk
It may be a while before @Rory93 replies, he hasn't been on here for a while...

1699225205556.png

If you tap on his forum name, the above info is shown

Back