Converting Kombi vans

Shuttles and caravelles are not N1 so have the higher speed limit.

Hey chapS, I’m asking for a bit of help here and the threads been hijacked? I know I’m fairly new here but I could definitely do with some good advice on the OP if you don’t mind. I’m pretty worried about spending a ton of money on a van and it not being right. I don’t know anybody with a van, I’m not involved in the scene at all so if anybody can give me a bit of advice it would be really appreciated. Many thanks chaps

All I can say I found a panel van with a tailgate and had it converted which I found the best option as I wanted it fully soundproofed and made into a kombi with leather seats and upgraded speakers, what advice are wanting?

:fast rofl:

It has gone rather off-piste!

Start here

Lots of info, you may have to dig for it, site specific Google search is often easiest. Lots of people convert them, but more tend to day-van or pod them :thumbsup:

Hi I brought a panel van in 2017 it was a 2013. T5.1 highline by the time I got everything done to a kombi spec I could of just brought one. I would not waist my time and money on converting a panel van . That’s my opinion

All I can say I found a panel van with a tailgate and had it converted which I found the best option as I wanted it fully soundproofed and made into a kombi with leather seats and upgraded speakers, what advice are wanting?
Sorry I wasn’t very clear. I’m wanting to build a camper. My original plan is from a panel van but I might go for a Kombi. What I am asking is are there issues with windows leaking and do people tend to change the glass anyway (am I correct in saying kombi doesn’t have privacy glass?)? Is there any other considerations to converting Kombis?

Hi I brought a panel van in 2017 it was a 2013. T5.1 highline by the time I got everything done to a kombi spec I could of just brought one. I would not waist my time and money on converting a panel van . That’s my opinion
Sorry this is about converting a kombi to a camper. My fault for not being clear

Hey chapS, I’m asking for a bit of help here and the threads been hijacked? I know I’m fairly new here but I could definitely do with some good advice on the OP if you don’t mind. I’m pretty worried about spending a ton of money on a van and it not being right. I don’t know anybody with a van, I’m not involved in the scene at all so if anybody can give me a bit of advice it would be really appreciated. Many thanks chaps
Wait until you have enough money then buy a factory kombi

:fast rofl:

It has gone rather off-piste!

Start here

Lots of info, you may have to dig for it, site specific Google search is often easiest. Lots of people convert them, but more tend to day-van or pod them :thumbsup:
Thanks will have a read

You will be paying much more for a kombi. Better buying a panel van if you doing a camper conversion. Keep looking don’t rush

You will be paying much more for a kombi. Better buying a panel van if you doing a camper conversion. Keep looking don’t rush
I’m trying my best not to rush. You would be surprised though, more Kombis seem to come up in my price bracket. Maybe a little older but still low mileage. I know a guy did tell me that the 150 is a fairly new addition so you will only see them from 2019? Some of the kombis from as far back as 2016 seem to be 140s. Different engine all together?

[/https:
I’m trying my best not to rush. You would be surprised though, more Kombis seem to come up in my price bracket. Maybe a little older but still low mileage. I know a guy did tell me that the 150 is a fairly new addition so you will only see them from 2019? Some of the kombis from as far back as 2016 seem to be 140s. Different engine all together?

Euro 5, so no Ad-Blue. May be an advantage, less to go wrong, but may be problematic with Low Emission Zones.

Factory Kombi every time for me. Ok you might pay a bit more but I found when I bought mine early this year there were far more Kombis about with very desirable spec. Many have LED lights (essential), tailgates, reversing cameras, power sliders, comfort dash etc etc. I bought a 150 dsg high line edition which basically has everything and has made us a very nice camper. It was about £2k more than bog standard high line with no LEDs

150's have been available for a few years not just 2019, 2017 i think. The Kombi windows can leak and there are various theories as to what the cause is, mine just need a good clean once or twice a year around the seal and some silicone lubricant. If you wish to go full on camper then your probably better off with the panel van unless you want to use the Kombi seating as part of the bed system. Full camper however suggests not. You can sell the rear seats and fittings but make sure its a fairly popular cloth otherwise you may get stuck for a while. Adding windows shouldn't be too bad but any doubt and get someone else to do it for you.

Back