Converting Kombi vans

VinylArchie

T6 Pro
Are there any obvious issues around converting Kombis? I’m looking for a panel van to convert ideally, but I see some nice Kombis coming up. Have heard stories of leaky windows but presume most people change the glass for privacy glass anyway? Panel vans with tailgates seem as rare as hens teeth so that’s another plus for the Kombi I guess!

Is the van being purchased by a business or is it a personal transaction? Kombi's have a very different business taxation class.

Good to go then. It might be cheaper getting the panel van and then converting due to VAT. There are different speed limits though I believe, not sure if you can re-register as a Kombi

It would be for personal use
I am talking used
Good to go then. It might be cheaper getting the panel van and then converting due to VAT. There are different speed limits though I believe, not sure if you can re-register as a Kombi
Isn’t the rate of VAT the same on both vans? As for re-registering I didn’t think you could register either as a camper?

Kombi is more expensive to buy so more VAT to pay. It's also classed as passenger carrying so has the higher speed limit by default I believe.

I bought a panel van and converted to a kombi it for tax (benefit in kind) and VAT benefits.My accountant advised me a kombi is classed as a car if you use it through your company so I didn’t want to take the risk. The V5 still says 3 seater vehicle

That's correct, Kombi is classed as a car if purchased via your business unfortunately. Converting it to a kombi is a grey area I guess but I've never heard about anyone getting investigated by HMRC.

I’ve been investigated before hence why I left the v5 as a panel van and the purchase receipt shows a panel van also so hopefully I should have a better chance of not being undiscovered. I included the conversion costs in the purchase invoice so it’s unclear to the investigators, fingers crossed I don’t get investigated again but hopefully I should have a better chance, I even have some pictures before it was converted if the ask for proof

You have got to be unlucky as for me it's still a very grey area as it's legally a panel van

Yes agreed as my accountant referred me to the Coca Cola case hence why I would recommend you should buy a panel van and convert it if your concerned

check this thread out:

Pretty sure I read on here that a Kombi still had that speed limit restrictions. I maybe wrong here..check v5 and look for N1

Sorry can I clarify the OP that I am meaning are there any build issues with the conversion??
I notice many are carpeted in the rear. How do you go on fitting windows into a van that’s carpeted?

I have a Kombi and as far as I am concerned I am subject to the lower speed limits as it’s over 2040kg

Kombi is more expensive to buy so more VAT to pay. It's also classed as passenger carrying so has the higher speed limit by default I believe.
Depends what it says on V5 - mine is N1. People are successfully challenging speeding fines though.

You can take the rubber mat, seatbelts and seats out of a Kombi and get £500+. The rear is a bit nicer anyway, so just adding carpeted panels (or carpeting the originals) looks fine. Usually have aircon and windows already in (albeit prone to leaks). The ceiling has a decent lining too, which I can't remember my panel van having. Panel vans often have bulkheads which need cut out and therefore non-folding front passenger seats.

Last edited:
Back