Conversion company recommendations for T6 shuttle

Brooke

VIP Member
Hi all, collecting our LWB T6 shuttle next week with a plan to convert into a 4 berth camper. I've been trawling through posts on here every evening since Sunday night after finally deciding to pull the trigger on getting the van. A few threads mention fitting pop tops can be done but some converters are put off by them so if anyone could save me hours of emailing just to get a "no" from them I would be very grateful. Unfortunately I haven't got the time or skills to convert myself as many of you guys seem to be doing... hats off to you :)

Must be some kind of issue as I have just been quoted an additional £1000 for adding a pop top to a shuttle. Surely someone could advise the issues involved?

I'm converting a Shuttle. My converter has no problems with it, so I don't understand the issues. I ripped out the headliner and side panels in an hour and I'm left with a van with windows, no difference in structure. The only things which might need to be thought about are:
1. The many seat floor fittings which need to be removed.
2. The second sliding door, doesn't suit some furniture?
3. The rear auxiliary heater. Could be removed with a bit of faff, I'm keeping mine and will be fashioning some ducting somehow.

There are a couple of threads on here, look for @Dieseldonkey

Can I ask who you are using for the conversion and which pop you are going for? I'm thinking of a rear kitchen conversion which will allow both sliding doors to keep in play

Can I ask who you are using for the conversion and which pop you are going for? I'm thinking of a rear kitchen conversion which will allow both sliding doors to keep in play
I'm using OX Campers in Baydon with a Skyline roof. My layout is going to be traditional and I will use the second slider to gain access to the back of the kitchen for the water and probably the gas. Mark at Ox is happy to work around the slider and the heater - he has standard furniture templates and a computerised cutter so it will be a little more work for him, but he is not concerned about it.

I'm converting a Shuttle. My converter has no problems with it, so I don't understand the issues. I ripped out the headliner and side panels in an hour and I'm left with a van with windows, no difference in structure. The only things which might need to be thought about are:
1. The many seat floor fittings which need to be removed.
2. The second sliding door, doesn't suit some furniture?
3. The rear auxiliary heater. Could be removed with a bit of faff, I'm keeping mine and will be fashioning some ducting somehow.

There are a couple of threads on here, look for @Dieseldonkey
The difficulties come in trying to reinstate the OEM panelling, B,C,D pillars, floor height depending on the type of seat, aircon unit at the rear etc. If you remove all of this then no problems but to keep looking 'Factory' with a conversion it is dificult. Shuttle is not the van to use for a converson in my opinion.
Rgds
Ian

The difficulties come in trying to reinstate the OEM panelling, B,C,D pillars, floor height depending on the type of seat, aircon unit at the rear etc. If you remove all of this then no problems but to keep looking 'Factory' with a conversion it is dificult. Shuttle is not the van to use for a converson in my opinion.
Rgds
Ian
You may well be right Ian, but they seem to be cheaper than everything else and often have a nice spec and an easy life.

You may well be right Ian, but they seem to be cheaper than everything else and often have a nice spec and an easy life.
Hi, yes they do, but they are cheaper as not as desirable for campers in my opinion even though the spec is generally higher. Depends what you intend to do, minor updates then yes they are fine, even as full blown campers they work but more work involved. It is just tricky and time consuming to achieve a factory finish, not impossible.

Good luck

Quick update, spoken to a number of converters since the original post, @slidepods are able to fit a pop top and retain the rear aircon, definitely booking in with these guys. Anna was super helpful on the phone too

I’ve got a side kitchen layout in a twin slider and it gives easy access to gas/water but also gives you a nice space for consumer unit and 12v fuse panel with easy access.
Also space under the floor (behind that ply strip in the pic) for wiring routing and victron battery charger.
Just need to do a bit of carpeting and finish the gas locker.
B3F97CB5-73DD-4785-B72A-741D4F815C21.jpeg

Back