Connecting Up Solar Panel

antburt1

Hi everyone

Starting to get the wiring together. Had a pop top fitted and got them to put a 150w solar panel onto as well. I’m using a ctek d250sa. They have given me a control unit with the panel. My question is do I just wire the live from solar panel straight into the ctek and disregard the control until supplied with the panel?
Many thanks.

ED6B831E-2516-4304-BA02-43DE55A10792.jpeg

In principle, yes. But check that the max voltage your panel can put out does not exceed the max of the CTEK unit. Other threads on this forum have pointed out that the CTEK has quite a low max input voltage - it can be damaged if your panel exceeds this.

Pete

Your panel needs a VOC of less than 23v to connect it directly to the CTEK. If the panel is higher than this do not connect it. It will knacker the CTEK. If it is higher, connect the panel to the controller you’ve pictured and connect the controller direct to the leisure battery

Your panel needs a VOC of less than 23v to connect it directly to the CTEK. If the panel is higher than this do not connect it. It will knacker the CTEK. If it is higher, connect the panel to the controller you’ve pictured and connect the controller direct to the leisure battery
Thanks for the reply. As I had the panel fitted with the roof, I’m not sure of the spec etc. I’ve attached pics of the panel. I did ask whether the panel would work with my ctek when I booked roof in but I want to be sure. They said it would. Is there a way of testing it?
Thanks

E245B910-C14B-4781-86BF-9C9A325C1071.jpeg

6EF419FF-6210-4F0B-BA4C-F587F89077A5.jpeg

63274390-9CFC-41F1-BFEA-58131E75BDE1.jpeg

Your best bet is to ask the supplier what the Voc voltage is (basically the maximum voltage it can output). If it is more than 23 volts then it will not work with your CTEK device.

Pete

They've not given you much :D those blue generic controllers are £4 on ebay
Having said that, my lad uses that one and its fine, so does his mate, and I use one in my shed, no probs :thumbsup:

44 cells could be over 26v so best to check before connecting it, just measure it open circuit on a sunny day, first shift the van so the poptop angles it into the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back