Connecting Solar panels on poptop

baldgeezer

Looking into putting a pair of flexible solar panels on the pop top. What do folk recommend in terms of connectivity - do you hard wire through the pop top or run a fly lead through the rubber seal of the rear doors?

My cables exited on the top, so the solution is not quite as streamlined. There is a thread with various ideas, and here is a photo of my cable entries.

Ok so I have barn doors and just checked and I have the same grommet entry points at the top so will use those to feel the cable in.

Another question - any issues known with bonded flexible panels on the pop top and heat generation in the panel causing issues with either the bonding or damaging the pop top itself?

Ok so I have barn doors and just checked and I have the same grommet entry points at the top so will use those to feel the cable in.

Another question - any issues known with bonded flexible panels on the pop top and heat generation in the panel causing issues with either the bonding or damaging the pop top itself?
There’s so much info on here about this issue it’s worth time using the search function to have a read, but to summarise; some have had no problems with their panels whilst some have experienced failed units. Some believe the failed units are due to poor air circulation under the panel and expansion issues, others will suggest it’s due to poor quality panels. It’s possible that given darker roofs get hotter in the sun there’s more expansion. What most agree on it that if you bond your panel on using a mastic and the panel fails it’s a pita getting it off so putting a square of vinyl wrap on first is sensible. I fixed my small 80w panel to some Twinwall then bonded this to the roof using VHB tape and it’s stayed firmly in place but for larger panels a mastic maybe more secure but don’t make the beads too thin. Given the price of the panels it’s worth the time reading up the experience of people on here - and of course post some pics of what you end up doing!!

Back