Connecting Mains Sockets To Consumer Unit.

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Mainly wondering if I have to use the blue arctic cable to run from the consumer unit to 2 mains sockets or would the flex from a kettle do?

Also I have to sockets so is it ok to connect them in parallel, or do I need to run 2 cables from the consumer unit?

Thanks

Electrics.jpg From The Caravan Club Technical Information Sheet Re: MAINS ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS (NOMINAL VOLTAGE 230V + 10% - 6% AC) IN CARAVANS AND MOTOR CARAVANS
4.04.02 Wiring from Circuit Breaker to Appliances
Mains cables shall run separately from 12V cables, so that as far as is reasonably practical, that there is no risk of physical contact between the two wiring systems.
The cross-sectional area of every conductor shall be not less than 1.5mm². Flexible single core PVC insulated and sheathed cables may be used. All cables unless routed in rigid conduit and all flexible conduit, must be supported by insulated clips at intervals not exceeding 400mm for vertical runs or 250mm for horizontal runs.
Cable joints must be made at junction boxes of non-flammable material. These should be accessible. No electrical equipment shall be installed in LPG compartments and cables should not be routed through such compartments

Electrics.jpg

Last edited:
Mainly wondering if I have to use the blue arctic cable to run from the consumer unit to 2 mains sockets or would the flex from a kettle do?

Also I have to sockets so is it ok to connect them in parallel, or do I need to run 2 cables from the consumer unit?

Thanks
1.5mm 3-core heat resistant flex (immersion heater flex or blue arctic is fine). I would wire the 2no. sockets on separate 16amp circuits. It'll give you more diversity to what appliances you may be using.

Utilmately you are limited by the single connection / supply cable from where you are plugging in ... it’s the 16A supply which is your limit

Thanks for the input.

Its this consumer unit from @travelvolts that I have:

https://www.travelvolts.net/product-page/consumer-unit

It has a 10A and 6A MCB so am I correct in thinking I can use mains cable at 13A from either of the MCBs as the cabe would be rated higher than them?

I would also be safe to wire both sockets in parallel from the 10A MCB as that would be the 'weakest' part of the circuit.

it makes no difference if you spur each socket from the mcb or daisy chain them off one another, with only 10A headroom you are at the mercy of the mcb rating, not the cable rating (assuming you use 1.5mm2+ cables), the length of the run is only going to be a few metres

Yes, I have run arctic cable from the hookup under the bonnet. Its just from the MCB to the sockets. (about 30cm).

Thats what I was checking, that the MCB will trip before the cable is overloaded.

Thanks for replies.

Recommended max of 2m from blue input socket to the RCD, if it’s much longer I’d run it in some protective sleeving to make sure there’s no chance of it wearing through and making the van chassis live at any point in the future.

Recommended max of 2m from blue input socket to the RCD, if it’s much longer I’d run it in some protective sleeving to make sure there’s no chance of it wearing through and making the van chassis live at any point in the future.
Thanks. Blue input socket is near battery, consumer unit is under passenger seat. Wired up following @travelvolts guide.

Back