Condensation In Fog Light

fezza68

Seize the day.
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Just noticed I've got a fogged up os fog light. How do i get rid and stop it happening again?.:mad:

Last edited:
I used a heat gun to warm up the light when I had this issue, and once it dried out, I never saw it happen again.

Mine started after swapping over to LED's

Foggy light
led's seem to be the problem because you don't get the warmth
I've currently got condensation in my indicator lens

Think id rather have it in my fog than my blinker!...
Gonna try tourers tip see if that works.

Well had the hair dryer on it and managed to clear it but its come back...
Is the hairdryer no good,does it have to be a heat gun?. Anymore tips anyone?.
More importantly wheres it coming from?.

Last edited:
have you thought about a couple of silica gel sachets to suck up the moisture ???

assuming the lamp housing is not cracked and bulb seal are not leaking . . . . . .

just a thought . . . :unsure:

84.JPG

Silica gel sachets......i like it. No the lens isnt cracked and the seals look ok.

Do you put the packet in the fog light or open the packet and put the balls in?.

Just the packet... so you can retrieve it at a later date.... or when its saturated and needs replacing.

Cheers @Dellmassive il dry it out again and see can i get a better seal/fit on the bulb and put a silica packet in. Would putting vaseline on the rubber seal on the bulb give it a better seal do you think?.

Yeh maybe, just a small amount.

After switching from halogen to LED, condensation in the fog lamps is generally caused by the design flaw in the LED cooling fan.

LED bulbs are not IP rated and not actually internally sealed. I suppose it is manufacturer's intension to allow some air flow (forced by the fan) to cool down the internal part of the LED "bulb".
Fan constantly "pumps" ambient air to the inside of the fog lamp. This air is pulled from the area close to the road, not to mention driving in wet conditions.

Example of my old fog LED bulbs.
20231112_231640.jpg20231112_231730.jpg20231112_232757.jpg20231112_231605.jpg

The air gaps between the "inside" and the "outside" can be seen below.
20231112_232145.jpg20231112_232150.jpg20231112_232104.jpg

My solution (or improvement) to the problem is reversing the polarity of the supply to the fan.
In some cases desoldering & swap over of 2 wires is required(fan blades don't work in the most efficient way, but still work), in some other cases there is a possibility to physically rotate the fan and reverse the air flow.
20231112_232809.jpg20231112_233212.jpg20231112_232908.jpg
By changing the direction of the air flow the air is constantly sucked out of the fog lamp, so is any condensation.

Back