Complete electrical failure.

Rossco 1212

Hi all,

New to the forum so thank you in advance for any advice.
I Proudly took delivery of a new 6.1- 4 motion at the end of 2023. Less than 2000 miles cover and broken down twice already.

Both times with complete electrical failure? Literally nothing on the van worked not even the hazard lights.

Have just got the van back from VW lookers in Guilford who don’t really seem to have a good explanation? They have blamed a Tracker I had fitted for insurance purposes?
Seem unlikely to me and to the professional that fitted it.

Anyone else had a similar experience with a new vehicle?

more info needed me thinks.

so are you saying that the tracker has run the battery totally flat?

that's very possible, if the tracker is using to much power.

have you tried removing the tracker for a few weeks as a test?

how often is the van driven? and for hoe long?

got any pics?

So van was only being used a couple of days a week at the time. Very possible the battery had been drained somewhat.
AA came out to recover, checked the battery and it was ok. Also put power pack on it and still the van was completely dead. No power to anything at all.
No radio, no Hazzards, no ignition, nothing.
Tracker removed for now and VW replaced the battery.
See how it goes I guess.

Starting from a known good battery state is definitely the first step in chasing electrical gremlins.

Consider using something like a BM2 battery monitor to see what's happening over time.

It's possible that if the battery has been repeatedly discharged quite low due to parasitic drain it's reached the point where the capacity is so limited it just collapsed to almost none.

Back