Colin.ab's extereme 4x4 project

Just stumbled across this thread when looking for ideas and I'm really liking it. How did this project get on?

It would be quite a pricey conversion on a T6, better and cheaper to build a ex swiss ambo/fire truck Unimog

I honestly don't think you can build a "proper off roader" with 4-motion; and certainly not with DSG. And thats according to VW, they will just self destruct. Fine for light off roading; not for heavy duty mud plugging. I have mine for getting out of muddy fields, or a short difficult stretch; and icy/snowy bits and bob, fine for that; and maybe an odd foray off road; I think the Seikles are generally manuals, and with grippy tyres/good ground clearance properly don't need to use 4-motion in anger all that often. And the all-in Siekels have a lowered gearing. Just don't think they can ever do what a LR defender /Merc G-Wagon/Toyota Landcruiser / or one of the many 4*4 Pick ups can do reliably; with their selectable permanently locked centre diffs; low range transfer boxes; and some with rear/front diff lockers; oh and many have torque converter auto's now as well. I think the T4 syncro's are probably more convertible for real serious terrain stuff.

Last edited:
Im only thinking of pure asthetics, my van is 2 wheel drive. I'd be too scared to take my van off roading. I'm a sucker for chunky wheels and lots of lights and overall a manly looking truck. I started doing it with my t4 but got a lot of stick as it was also a 2WD and eventually gave up.

Back