Cigarette Lighter Woes

BrianK

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello All,

Hopefully someone can help with what I think is a strange one. Bear in mind mines a 2015 T5 not T6 sorry :oops:

Whilst recently instaling 2 new leisure batteries and re-wiring the entire setup I noticed I had no power to the cup holder cig lighter socket and read on here that the fuse was one of the ones under the passenger seat which I then located and replaced with the same 15 amp fuse.

This as happily recharged a torch and mobile phone for me but seen little other use as of yet.

Recently went off for 4 days to give the vans new batteries and B2B charger a good test and bought a little cheap submersible pump for filling the water tank under the sink. This pump is a beauty, seems to be stainless steel construction and shifts 12 litres per minutes but uses a maximum running current of 0.8A according to the instructions.

However if I try to use the cup holder cig socket to run this pump it does nothing at all, after which I have confirmed the fuse is still OK by plugging in a USB adaptor in, however when I plug the pump into the socket under the flap on top of the dash it sucks like a Dyson!

Any ides anyone?

Last edited:
Is the plug not reaching the socket positive contact on that socket?

Is it possible the cup holder socket is a lower amp socket than the top dash one , I personally don't have a cup holder socket to check , only have a usb port socket and the top 12v socket

Many thanks for the input both of you

Dell,
Hadn't occurred to me at all that the sockets might be different lengths, I guess I just assumed same vehicle same sockets but certainly worth a look. I'm renowned for complicating things and not considering the bleeding obvious :confused:

St4n99,
That did occur to me but surely at an output of only 0.8A this would be a very low amperage outlet!

Sorry I haven't read your amps drawn correctly , thought it was 8amps lol ,you shouldn't have a problem with they amps at all , hopefully dells solution works out

The Sockets are not power limited in any way,

You can draw power upto the point the fuse blows....

I've had loads of issues in the past with plugs being tight or loose in various 12v sockets.... you might need to realy push it in hard....

A dirty centre contact is also possible....

Got any pics?

Thanks Dell, got a very full day today but will try and take a pic later.

Here you go, first pic is the cup holder one and the 2nd (which shows off the van was once used for carpentry) is on the top of the dash. If I stick my little pinkie in them and mark with a biro they do seem the same length. Certainly looks like it could be worth twisting a little wire wool in there and see if it improves the connection.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Back