Chinese Heaters

James B

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with the cheap Chinese heaters that are flooding eBay?

I’ve seen quite a few people now saying they are reliable and not seen any real negativity around them.

I was considering buying one and setting up in the garage to test one over the winter. If anyone has had one or heard anything any info would be appreciated.

I’ve been watching several YouTube reviews and installations with interest. Not seen anyone have any problems so far.

I’m also kicking round the idea of putting one in the garage at that price, could be a pretty cost effective way of being able to work in there over winter

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with the cheap Chinese heaters that are flooding eBay?

I’ve seen quite a few people now saying they are reliable and not seen any real negativity around them.

I was considering buying one and setting up in the garage to test one over the winter. If anyone has had one or heard anything any info would be appreciated.
Julian Illet
took one apart and now has it installed. He even runs the electrical side from his home made solar setup.

Julian Illet
took one apart and now has it installed. He even runs the electrical side from his home made solar setup.

A good electronics YT chanel with that guy..... been keeping tabs on him for years.

I’ve thought of an even more cost effective way of heating the garage now, connect an exhaust extension to the van’s Eberspacher and drill a hole in the wall to vent it out, then leave the van doors open :D

I see from David McLuckie's channel that a new variant of chinese diesel heater with water heating has emerged, and he seems to be quite impressed. £300 at the mo, but as he says, bound to come down in price rapidly once they hit all the mainstream sales outlets. No good for me as I already have an Eber plus electric water heating but could be a genuinely good option for self-building

Edit: A link would help wouldn't it

I'm not so sure:confused: If you're mounting under the van, (probably), then the casing doesn't appear to be waterproof. The circuit board isn't encased nor conformal coated - how many winters that would last?

I'm not so sure:confused: If you're mounting under the van, (probably), then the casing doesn't appear to be waterproof. The circuit board isn't encased nor conformal coated - how many winters that would last?
Fair enough, I have no experience in them but Youtube was full of van converters (though not Transporters) trying out the phase one Chinese heaters so I wondered if this might be the next progression. You're right about being mounted underneath, I wouldn't want my Eber inside.

We relocated one for a customer and had real problems with the fan rubbing the outer casing and making a noise. Case seemed too floppy. The controller was a nightmare to work out but the guy had lost his instructions… Heat was really hot, sounds stupid but too hot really.

It seemed to do the job, but I would never fit one in a customer’s van, just not worth the risk. These vans are very expensive and scrimping money on such a potentially dangerous part just does not make sense to me. I shudder to think if one caught fire at night…..

All the best,

Rgds

Ian

Apart from potential for carbon monoxide poisoning would a van be insured if it caused a fire.
There are some pretty rigorous type approval standards to meet in Europe, Scandinavia and North America.

Without knowing certification standard of heater it is hard to say. I have seen many electrical appliance being sold to UK with forged certification. Also, if the heater has been fitted ‘DIY’ I am not sure an insurance company would cover this. They will look at any way to weasel out of paying. Also, Companies have public liability insurance - (if not, don’t use them), should there be a problem, which gives the customer piece of mind.

You really have to ask yourself, is it feasible to manufacture a product like that for £100. There is a reason , eberspacher/webasto/planar etc are 4-5 times the cost.

Chinese probably ok for a garage at home of you are present when its running as you will see immediately if there is a problem, sleeping in a van…..

This is just my take.

Rgds

Ian

Back