Changing my mind

Carlwaynie

T6 Pro
As the title suggests… I’m starting to have doubts about the the Kombi van I have on order which incidentally should be arriving any week now.
With the lump sum and what I’ll get for my old vehicle I could buy a top range second hand 4x4 Volvo or similar SUV outright.
Always fancied a Vw Transporter but are they really worth it, a lot of money for a van.

My opinion;
Yes totally overpriced but seem to hold their value, however I wouldn’t never buy a brand new vehicle because of the initial drop in value when driving away from the showroom.
In my case I have a camper and I travel a lot as I’m retired without commitments. If I think about how many restaurant meals, hotel rooms and taxi costs I’ve avoided the van has paid for itself.

My opinion;
Yes totally overpriced but seem to hold their value, however I wouldn’t never buy a brand new vehicle because of the initial drop in value when driving away from the showroom.
In my case I have a camper and I travel a lot as I’m retired without commitments. If I think about how many restaurant meals, hotel rooms and taxi costs I’ve avoided the van has paid for itself.
I’ve got no choice but to buy new as the options I want would be almost impossible to find and the second hand cost if I did find a van with them on would not be far off new prices

As the title suggests… I’m starting to have doubts about the the Kombi van I have on order which incidentally should be arriving any week now.
With the lump sum and what I’ll get for my old vehicle I could buy a top range second hand 4x4 Volvo or similar SUV outright.
Always fancied a Vw Transporter but are they really worth it, a lot of money for a van.
We were never in your position with a new order but did buy a 2 year old kombi from VW. We haven't regretted a day of ownership.

I personally will never now be without a van. So versatile.

Like any of these sort of purchases, none of them stack up if you analyse them too much. I would use it and see how you get on with it for a while. If you don't gel, then you will do alright if you do decide to sell it.

I got mine because I had an itch to scratch too. Also, being 53, what other vehicle could I lower, put bigger wheels and spot lights on and not look a dick? Well, anymore of a dick than I actually am.

They do cost a ridiculous amount of money, but then so does everything else. At least the residuals are super strong, the cost of ownership will be much less than any upmarket SUV. Not that you can really compare the two, as the van will do so much more.

The question you have to ask yourself is, why did you want a van in the first place? If it was to fulfil a requirement, camper, loads of kids/family bus, work etc. Then it's a moot point. If you wanted one as a lifestyle choice because they are perceived to be "cool", then you've reason to question your choice. We have a van, because we are retired & wanted a camper. We have a relatively huge amount of money invested in it, but don't regret a penny. We're packing to go down to the Alps for a month as we speak. For me, if you don't have a need for the van, there are better choices of transport, especially with current fuel costs.
just my 2 penneth.

I had a Toyota Landcruiser (8 seater) for many years. Great vehicle for towing heavy loads and off road. I've had the T6 Kombi DSG for three years, it's far more practical and does everything I need it to do including transporting up to seven dogs. I wouldn't swap the T6 for a SUV. It's about what you need the vehicle to do for the majority of the time.

Also had suvs in the past and now I’ve got my kombi I wouldn’t look back! You can get all the family in and still loads of room for other day to day stuff pets etc! See so many mums driving them now with the kids loaded up and all the crap that comes with them trust me I know! Plus also great as day and camper vans etc

Back