Changing head unit for one with reversing camera capability

Matrob93

Recently bought a 2019 VW transporter t6 highline which currently has a non sat nav media and I’m just wondering how easy is it to change it to a sat nav media compatible for installing a reversing camera.

TIA

You can get an aftermarket system from £200 ish with decent brands starting at £300 ish, that will run android auto or apple car play so you can plug your phone in it to use the apps on there like waze or google.
You can add a camera, amongst other things.
Fitting isn't horrendously difficult with the right wiring harness etc but wouldn't cost loads for a professional to do it...

I got the dealer to fit a reversing camera when i bought my van. Like yourself I have a highline but with the basic headunit. The dealer fitted an aftermarket camera for which the display fits over the rear view mirror. Works really well, might be work considering to save replacing the head unit

Hi

we have a 2019 shuttle with what I believe is the standard radio. No sat nav or car play.

I’ve got my eye on a second hand unlocked VW DISCOVERY MEDIA MIB2 UNLOCKED CARPLAY ANDROID WIFI DAB VOICE CONTROL 2022 MAP.

Which reversing camera would work with this unit please ? Secondly is it just a straight swap or do I need to change the wiring harness ext?

trying to not spend a fortune so would rather do it all myself.

advice is much appreciated.

thank you

General rule of thumb (there may be exceptions)….

If you have Composition Colour (the basic T6 stereo) then there is a daughter board that can be fitted inside the unit to enable an aftermarket reversing camera to be added.

If you have Composition Media you can retrofit a genuine camera. Has one SD card slot…

B383137F-3108-4276-B58C-18488920B0CE.jpeg

If you have Discovery Nav then you can retrofit a genuine camera. Has two SD card slots…

3977F7EC-0ED9-417F-A882-BE156BAAF9BF.jpeg

Back