Chair Pod With Electric Tailgate

JasonW

VCDS User
T6 Legend
Just wondering if anyone has the chair pod system fitted with an electric tailgate...

Does it still open and stay open with the pod or does it need some kind of upgrade to the gas struts...?

Thanks in advance...

VW-Campervan-Chairpod-Storage-Solution-10.jpg

There are no gas struts upgrade. I very much doubt the rams will lift the tailgate with the chair pod. I guess this is one of the reasons that a powered tailgate is not an option on a Calli

Thanks @Deaky . Product details say the chairs are 1.8kg each but total product weight is 10Kg....

I find it hard to believe the bag makes up the remaining 6.4kg, so I don't know where this extra weight comes from.

There is an option to upgrade the struts in the description.... but probably may not apply to the electric ones

Chair Pod *NEW* - VanShades

The rest will be the plastic tailgate card and window surround trim. The struts they are on about is the manual gas struts

Don’t forget though that most of the weight in the chair pod is in the lower half of the tailgate where as the bike rack is on the upper half.

This might be a case of suck it and see...!

There may be a chair pod going cheap in the for sale section if this doesn't work out....

This might be a case of suck it and see...!

There may be a chair pod going cheap in the for sale section if this doesn't work out....
He who dares :thumbsup:

If no one has done this already on a T6 electric version then maybe I'll need to carry out a small experiment...

I can weigh then attach items to the inside of the tailgate first to see what the lifting weight is.... It takes quite some stopping force on the up stroke so it's got a chance me thinks.. hopefully this should give me some idea if it's capable with the chair pod ;)

How did you get on @JasonW ? I'm thinking about a spare tyre carrier on mine so I can put a water tank underneath but not sure the hassle of moving the spare to open it is worth the utility (or aesthetics!)

I was thinking along the lines of upgrading the motor and struts.

Hi @Lukavell

I have the spare underneath and a 70l water tank underneath on a 4M, so both are possible...

As for the electric tailgate with chair pod.... I found that there was a snag with the depth of the chair pod which interfered with the parcel shelf and cupboard partition... so this sent me in another direction and i ended up with two very compact Helinox sunset chairs... So i never got to carry out the load bearing weight capability of the electric tailgate...

I had read on hear that someone else had an issue with a loaded up bike carrier attached.... I am not sure what is available for motor and strut upgrade with the electric tailgate model.

Cheers for the reply Jason.

I only started thinking about it yesterday so still trying to find out what's in the art of the possible.

Thanks for the advice on the water tank and spare. I can't find the water tank I'd seen now I've started looking properly for it. It was essentially wheel shaped and fitted where the spare does, using the bracket to secure it. The benefit for me being that I can drop it and fill it rather that drilling a big hole in the side for an inlet.

I spoke to Matt at VWT5Upgrades who said the electric tailgate will not lift a bike rack with bikes on and William at Wheeliams who reckons it won't lift his tyre carrier whilst its loaded.

I can definitely upgrade the struts but not sure this will be enough, I'll do a bit more digging.

Back