CB 516 Battery Charger

farmerk

Hi All,
Just acquired a newly converted campervan based on a VW T6 Highline 2017. My question is whether the CB 516 battery charger they have installed is suitable for STOP/START and regenerative breaking, i.e. is this a battery to battery charger. Thanks.

Is that a CBE product. If so, i think it is for charging the battery on hook-up, not whilst driving.

A photo would be useful.

Pete

Thanks, my fault I left the E out. Yes a CBE 516. It does also charge the vehicle battery if on EHU providing the leisure battery has already a good state of charge. However would this be a split charge relay (unsuitable) or more like a battery to leisure battery charger via the intelligent alternator?

I don't think it is either. If your leisure battery is being charged when you drive, then there is probably another device somewhere.

Pete

As Pete C says above this is just a battery charger working only from the mains hookup.
if I were you I would ask the converter what he has done regarding charging when on the move or have a look around the vehicle and see if you can find another box.

Thanks both, I will poke around further and come back. Just worried about STOP/START and regen braking causing leisure battery to fail earlier if not been done right. Was expecting to find a Sterling B2B in there.

Thanks both, I will poke around further and come back. Just worried about STOP/START and regen braking causing leisure battery to fail earlier if not been done right. Was expecting to find a Sterling B2B in there.
It’s a big box so should be easy to spot, mine is under the drivers seat

Let us know what you find.

Also, that CBE charger doesn’t appear to be compatible with AGM batteries, which is what your starter battery is likely to be, and possible your leisure battery too.

Pete

Hi,
Had a poke around. No sign of a B2B charger. CBE PC 100 power management system. One forum thread located from 05/06/20 a poster was told as long as a different switch to that used on T5 if utilised would be fine with CBE system, not sure about this. Some photos attached.

DSC03134.JPG

DSC03135.JPG

DSC03136.JPG

DSC03137.JPG

Can't see a B2B charger there. Where is the leisure battery - the charger is likely to be beside it.

Pete

Battery is apparently below the CBE 516 under the shelf you see below it. I already plan to ask them how to access it. If a B2B was hidden from view, would a CBE 516 have been needed as well?

My understanding is that the CBE 516 is just for charging on hook-up, so you need something else to charge the leisure battery when driving (a B2B charger).
It might be that the CBE controller you have does the switching between starter and leisure battery, but in that case it is likely to be simple VSR rather than a proper B2B charger.

If you are going to ask the converter how to access the battery, you might as well ask them what device does the charging when driving, and where it is.

Who is the converter ? Others here may know what approach they use.

Pete

Camperking are the convertors. On visits to there showroom I mentioned the STOP/START issues with charging and they showed me a picture of a Sterling B2B which they said they had been using for a couple of years. I might be wrong but I think they have fitted an incorrect charging system. I will be on the phone first thing tomorrow to politely enquire.

Issue solved. Took vertical panel off below CBE and found battery but no B2B. There is a 15cm void between back cupboard rear panel and the panel you see inside van with controls on. From inside van by rear seat put my hand up by the window curtain and felt the charger in the void. Feels like a Sterling, felt vent slots at top and the indentations that Sterlings have. Very well hidden!

Issue solved. Took vertical panel off below CBE and found battery but no B2B. There is a 15cm void between back cupboard rear panel and the panel you see inside van with controls on. From inside van by rear seat put my hand up by the window curtain and felt the charger in the void. Feels like a Sterling, felt vent slots at top and the indentations that Sterlings have. Very well hidden!
Well it’s great that you have one but a shame they have hidden it so well. The front panel has LED’s which tell you the charges on the two batteries and what, in the charge cycle, it is doing. Not a big issue unless, like me, you have a touch of OCD where battery charge is concerned.

Yes would have preferred it on view but at least its there. Touch and feel tells me its the Sterling 30A. Will get the wife to push curtain back and shine phone torch in void so I can see it from outside the side window, but she's a bit busy at the mo! Thanks for help.

Yes would have preferred it on view but at least its there. Touch and feel tells me its the Sterling 30A. Will get the wife to push curtain back and shine phone torch in void so I can see it from outside the side window, but she's a bit busy at the mo! Thanks for help.
its a pleasure, now more importantly go to the vehicle battery and look at the left terminal which has a little plastic protective cover, there should be nothing connected here other than the original VW wires.
The Sterling, or anything else, should not be connected to this terminal.
if it is then post here and I will try to find the link on how to correct.

found it here you are. Starter Battery Wiring - VW Disagreement

Last edited:
Glad to hear you have it sorted. Might be worth getting a camera in there to get pics so you can confirm the model.

Pete

I checked vehicle battery yesterday and nothing been added at that end so all ok hopefully. Pete, I will try, might have to find a contortionist tho. I will check for access in the top with pop top up. There has to be some easier access for if anything goes wrong rather than taking a load of panels out.

Useful thread as I was looking for what split relay charger I had, thought your photos looked just like mine and they will be as I have camperking conversion too! Everything being boxed away is a right pain. At least now I have an mppt controller on solar though to replace pwm I have a better picture of battery state.

Reactions: CAB
Back