Card Machines For Small Businesses.

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
I've been trading now for nearly 12 years, and rarely had any need for a card machine, because most of my customers pay by bank transfer, or cash.
However, due to a growing trend of immoral people having our work carried out, and then not paying for what they've had done, it looks like i'm going to have to put a stop to bank transfers as payments, and move over to card payments, which is a real shame.

We used to use a card machine several years ago, but it was always reliant on phone service to work, and as I can be in some really remote areas, this was often embarrassing when the machine wouldn't connect, and this was the customers only method of payment.

A quick Google search and things seemed to have moved on considerably, with small devices that connect to your phone, but therein lies my question.

Can anyone recommend a machine/gadget that's reliable and not stuffed with exorbitant charges, because there seems to be dozens of these available now, each offering different or better options than the others :confused:

It's easier asking on here on the off chance that someone uses one they are really happy with.

Cheers.

haven't got one myself . . . .

but I've noticed over the last few/5 years a lot of small business types at festivals/tradehsows and the like using a small bluetooth gadget thing linked to a phone. (rely on internet connection via phone)

they tap in the amount . . . . do a swipe or insert, you put your pin in, they ask for your email for recipt and bam! done.

The email receipt come through straight away.>.....>

the ones i remember using looked like these: (link below)

3. SumUp
5. PayPal Here

40.jpg

top7 devices listed here > Top 7 Mobile Credit Card Machines & Readers From £19

The problem is there are so many to choose from.
Is it like everything else in life, some gadgets are better than others? or are they all the same and it just depends on your network and finding the best deal?

This is why I hoped there would be several people that used these things, because all the comparison sites are different, and one wonders just how bias their reviews are towards certain brands.

Also bear in mind, if a customer pays on a card and then disputes it with their card provider, they automatically take the money back out of your bank until its resolved ( even after 2 months from the original transaction)

Cash is king ( so long as its real ) o_O

Also bear in mind, if a customer pays on a card and then disputes it with their card provider, they automatically take the money back out of your bank until its resolved ( even after 2 months from the original transaction)

I’ve just successfully disputed a credit card payment for £89 3 months after the original transaction - I think the limit is 120 days.

Re. “Cash is King” - my sentiments exactly, hence my disappointment to find out last week that the place I’ve held a season ticket for 20+ years have decided will be a cashless stadium for everything from programmes to food and drink.

Cash is unfortunately being made redundant.

Cash was King, but sadly it's slowly been demoted.
My first 5 years it was around 50/50 cash, then the following 5 years 25/75 in favour of bank transfer, and the last couple of years it's as little as 5% of my yearly payments in cash.

Sad times but the fact you can pay for a Mars bar with contactless just means less and less cash payments across all smaller businesses I think.

Only £1 in every £5 spent, was cash over the past 12 months according to the news a couple of weeks ago.

I’ve just successfully disputed a credit card payment for £89 3 months after the original transaction - I think the limit is 120 days.

Re. “Cash is King” - my sentiments exactly, hence my disappointment to find out last week that the place I’ve held a season ticket for 20+ years have decided will be a cashless stadium for everything from programmes to food and drink.

Cash is unfortunately being made redundant.

Cash will be slowly fazed out over the years to come, that way big brother can monitor EVERYTHING you are buying and spending.
all will be accountable

I think you’ll find this is only with credit cards not debit cards, so you could just except debit cards to stop this, although i’ve been taking card payments for the last 6 years and never had this happen. The charges for taking card payments are the downside but I try to think it saves me having to visit the bank to pay in, What annoys me more than anything is Lloyd’s charging me nearly 1% to bank cash.
I’m starting to think cheques are the way forward I can bank them on my phone app don’t get charged for them and they clear next day instead 3-4 days if banked in a branch.

Can’t comment on a mobile card machine as mines shop based, have you got website as I think you set up world pay to take online payments?

I think you’ll find this is only with credit cards not debit cards, so you could just except debit cards to stop this, although i’ve been taking card payments for the last 6 years and never had this happen. The charges for taking card payments are the downside but I try to think it saves me having to visit the bank to pay in, What annoys me more than anything is Lloyd’s charging me nearly 1% to bank cash.
I’m starting to think cheques are the way forward I can bank them on my phone app don’t get charged for them and they clear next day instead 3-4 days if banked in a branch.

Can’t comment on a mobile card machine as mines shop based, have you got website as I think you set up world pay to take online payments?
Chargeback (for purchases up to £100) is available on most debit cards as well as credit cards. "Section 75" refunds apply to purchases over £100 but applies just to credit cards. I used Chargeback recently because my purchase was less then £100 - prior to hearing about this I had already written the money off so very happy to get the money paid back.

See:- Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback

I've ordered the I-Zettle machine for now and see how I get on.
This seems to have the best reviews and it's not a contract so to speak.

Thanks for all the input as usual.

Back