Can I fit a Kombi/Caravelle sliding-door to a Panel Van?

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So, I have a clean Kombi sliding door to swap onto my van, as the old one is beaten up. The new door is complete with handle, door locking/opening mechanism, seal and a lovely sliding window, of course. In fact, it looks like I won't need to swap any of the stuff from the old door onto the new one. That's because the old door is ply-lined and I won't be keeping the ply or door lining. [EDIT: not so true! see below]

I've been searching for an hour or two but no-one shows how to take the sliding door off completely, as usually there's no need, I guess. I'm also guessing it's deceptively easy!

Please can you tell me the basic steps to remove the sliding door completely?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can not help you but this might be the opportunity, to investigate the drainage situation of the sliding window. You could check and clear any blockages and see if any improvements can be made to ensure better drainage. Just a thought. Good luch with the door hanging. I guess this is quite heavy and awkward? I hope that you have some willing assistants!:cautious:

@Littleblackflash I have the same extra Bowden cables on the new door, which was from a minivan of some description, and mine's a panel van too. Which parts did you have to swap in this thread. It seems strange that you have a extra loom to the back lock but it doesn't detect it as closed without?

PXL_20201021_074233672.jpgPXL_20201021_074309661 (1).jpg

EDIT: That's why the new door has an internal handle that moves both ways; towards the rear to open the door, and towards the front of the door to release that rear lock! @Pauly do I have the option to fit a caravelle/kombi roller to enable that locking mechanism? or something else?

Last edited:
Hi All,
I didn't use the extra cable on the lower slider, I just pushed it back through the hole. The internal handle moves both ways but I don't notice it now.

The caravelle door doesn't have the sensor in the rear lock because they normally have the soft close mech. I swapped the lock off my old door and it worked perfectly.

Hi All,
I didn't use the extra cable on the lower slider, I just pushed it back through the hole. The internal handle moves both ways but I don't notice it now.

The caravelle door doesn't have the sensor in the rear lock because they normally have the soft close mech. I swapped the lock off my old door and it worked perfectly.
Thanks, I think, like you, I'll start with that and then add the caravelle roller and stop later. I guess it's a just a swap out of the lower roller that @Pauly shows in that other thread.

PXL_20201005_133529049.jpgs-l1600 (20).jpgs-l1600 (21).jpg

So, so far, I have these steps: (my old door and new door in the pics above)
  1. Remove sliding door from van (requires spline set)
    1. Undo two bolts at middle, with a mate to take the weight of the door.
    2. Undo bolts on lower slider carrier and door should be free?
  2. Remove ply lining and base card from old door.
  3. Remove rear lock and y-loom (requires spline set again)
  4. Remove door handle lock barrel part (as my old door has a key lock)
  5. Remove door handle blank from new door handle and refit key lock barrel from old door.
  6. Remove rear lock from new door and refit rear lock from old door, fitting y-loom for closed door detection.
  7. With a mate, mount new door
    1. First on bottom slider carrier
    2. Then middle pair of bolts.
    3. Close the door and assess fit.
    4. Adjust fit by loosening bolts and lifting/wiggling the door to the right height and position. Repeat until good.
Am I missing anything, or any tools?

EDIT: And...what to do about the door locking pin, that would normally come through the caravelle/kombi door card? On the PV it has a push down slide in the internal door handle assembly? @Littleblackflash what did you do?

I swapped my door for full electric and it had the lock open function before, will have a dig through my parts as pretty sure I have the bottom roller and catch plate still

Back