Can i connect my webasto heater to my fuse box?

Davidh

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Looking for some advice regarding connecting up the positive feed from my externally mounted webasto heater. Basically the unit comes with a 5m length of pos and neg with an inline fuse which they say should be connected directly to the battery. As the cabling comes up directly under the drivers seat where my leisure battery fuse box is I was wondering is it acceptable to cut the length of cable down to about 1m and connect straight to that fuse box? Would make life a lot easier for me but not sure if there would be any down sides to doing this. TIA

I never recommend this as you are just adding more joins in the cable - each join could cause problems in the future and lead to voltage drop. Keep it simple, direct to battery.

I never recommend this as you are just adding more joins in the cable - each join could cause problems in the future and lead to voltage drop. Keep it simple, direct to battery.
Thanks for the reply. That does make sense when you say it like that, just need to figure out where to try and store the excess cable as under the seat is very limited on space. Out of interest do you know what sort of temperature does the outlet pipework get to? Want to make sure I leave enough surrounding space to the other electrics under the seat.

I would work on around 105° max - I have measured 130° on some heaters directly in the hottest part of the airflow just inside the duct lip. It is immediately combined with lower temperature output so the main air flow is usually between 95° and 105° as it enters the duct. The temp of the ducting itself will be well below that as it is silver lined ( if you have used standard ducting). That said I distorted a reel of plastic welding wire that sat over one of my vents from my 4Kw heater.
If you have far too much cable you can cut it down making sure that you fuse it at the end on the battery. Just make sure that moving your battery is not likely in the future as the cable will then be too short. Webastos looms usually come with the fuse etc loose so that shortening of the power cable can be carried out - wasn't yours?

I would work on around 105° max - I have measured 130° on some heaters directly in the hottest part of the airflow just inside the duct lip. It is immediately combined with lower temperature output so the main air flow is usually between 95° and 105° as it enters the duct. The temp of the ducting itself will be well below that as it is silver lined ( if you have used standard ducting). That said I distorted a reel of plastic welding wire that sat over one of my vents from my 4Kw heater.
If you have far too much cable you can cut it down making sure that you fuse it at the end on the battery. Just make sure that moving your battery is not likely in the future as the cable will then be too short. Webastos looms usually come with the fuse etc loose so that shortening of the power cable can be carried out - wasn't yours?
Thats more heat than I was expecting! Yeh I have used the provided ducting I got with the webasto kit which is silver lined. Mines is a 2kw heater so hopefully won't have such drastic effects as distorting anything.
I had to plug the cable connector into the heater if that's what you mean? It's all in place now with the wires coming through the grommet under the driver seat. I don't think the fuse is loose but will double check. I think I'll need to cut the cables ( positive, negative and a yellow one which I think is for fault-finding) to make them smaller. Currently have 4m of cabling rolled up under my driver seat

Back