Can I change the oil filter without a special tool?

tram

Engineer
T6 Pro
If I unscrew the oil filter cap, can I then just lift the filter out and put a new one in? I was looking online and it showed a special tool which looked like it perhaps slotted into the center of the filter like some kind of key, a sort of long square rod with a notch on the end. It is a euro 5.

Hi tram
Just changed my oil and filter tonight after covering 6300 miles

Nice easy job , 32mm socket and 2 long extension pieces, unscrew the housing and pull it out, then drop the oil as when you undo the filter the oil will drop into the sump.

I used a suction jobbie to get the oil out through the dip stick ,it worked very well drawing exactly 7ltrs out ,which is what my sump holds and it's very clean to use.

Hope this helps john.........ps mine is also euro 5

cheers stripy, that is good info to know. I didn't know about taking out the oil through the dipstick. I would like to see about getting one. What should I look for?

I am intending to change the oil after summer and after winter. I think there is a lot of moving metal-on-metal parts, and the heating and cooling going on. It just feels right to change it twice a year, with the filter once. I only use the van half the week, and only do about 5k a year.

Hi tram
This is the suction pump I got, as it will only hold 6.5ltrs when I used it i drew 1ltr out then stopped the pump and emptied it then drew the remaining 6ltrs out.

Screenshot_20170520-210554.png

cheers stripy, that is good info to know. I didn't know about taking out the oil through the dipstick. I would like to see about getting one. What should I look for?

I am intending to change the oil after summer and after winter. I think there is a lot of moving metal-on-metal parts, and the heating and cooling going on. It just feels right to change it twice a year, with the filter once. I only use the van half the week, and only do about 5k a year.

I think that this is excessive, and paranoid.. But that's your choice.. However you need to keep with long life oil if it's set for that, and also a good make, their wise it is false economy, as the oil is a very important part of the vehicles emissions system nowadays..

Stripy, thanks.

Dave, yes, thanks for that, that it has to be the professional long life Castrol oil, same as the litre that comes with the van. There is Castrol edge in halfords and tescos, but it isn't the professional long life, but it looks so similar that you might think it is no difference worth bothering about, but it most likely is very important for emissions and perhaps particulate filter etc as you say. So thanks for pointing that out. I am the type who would pick up some oil in tescos thinking it is near enough. Good point. Thanks.

My mate is the head of a local factors, and the number of dpf units stuffed by oil is incredible.. He's spoken to comma tech ref all this....

Back