Campsite recommendations please!

TeamT

Hi all, as the title says I'm looking for some campsite recommendations for our trip round the south coast this summer.
We are a family of five with small children so family camping is a must and would love to be near good beaches (would love to try surfing).
We are planning to have a mini tour around Devon/Cornwall and prob stay at 3 campsites for around 5 nights each.
Thanks in advance!!

Well you've come to the right place!
There's a campsite I can see from our house Tristram – Polzeath
It's pricey but if you get a good spot you cannot get closer to the sea. There's also a decent restaurant/cafe that does breakfast just about on site.

Polzeath is good for learning - fairly safe and plenty of places to hire and/or get lessons. Surfs Up or Georges Surf school are the best. Also lots of places o et and drink and a handy Spar that sells everything - they even do Dom Perignon!

If you want to move on, Gwithian Farm is very good; not as close to the sea but well kitted out, a pub nearby (at the gate!) and a lovely big beach which is great for surfing and has two very good cafes to choose from.

And finally Treen Farm is gorgeous; on the South Coast almost at Lands End, the position is great, it has a good shop, the amazing Minack Theatre at Porthcurno and quite possibly the prettiest beach (a bit of a climb down - not great for really young kids) I've seen. Oh and a pub about half a mile away. It's not great for surf except in Winter storms but it's well worth a look.

Shout if you need any more ideas!

Love Polzeath...but my favourite place has to be Kynance Cove...no idea about campsites, it's years since I've been, but planning to get down there this year when I get the van. We went every year as kids...love Cornwall.

Once got stranded at Bedruthan Steps and had to sit high on the rocks till the tide went out...my parents had a very cavalier attitude to risk! Great memories though.

Thank you, that is top info, will check out the campsites, my mrs said how good kynance cove is as she used to go there as a kid so will have to check that out.

Look out for low flying foam boards around that way in mid august!!!

Cheers guys

I'll add Fforest Fields near Builth Wells in Wales, family friendly . Lots of walking Mountain Bilkeing and playing around on the lake it you like. YOu can even say in one of the yerts though I though they get booked quick

For Kynance you should try Henry's Campsite in Lizard Village.

For north Devon you could try Lobb Field in Braunton, I stayed there last night and seems to meet most of your requirements

I've looked at Henry's a few times...quirky looking site.

No surfing beaches nearby but it's a great site near to us in Dorset. Loads of walks and other beaches. Home Creech Farm near Corfe Castle. If you're in Cornwall Atlantic Bay in Porthcothan or Constintine Bay are great for surfing and awesome beaches. See you there

Last edited:
IMG_6761.JPG
We've always done north Cornwall for years every summer , Little Bodieve at Wadebridge , Dinham Farm ? and Trewiston nearer to Polzeath. All not far for surfing beach
So we tried Pentewan Sands on the South coat near st Austell couple of weeks back , right on the sand pub nearby perfect . No waves for surfing though but an amazing spot see pic above just as we we're leaving

Last edited by a moderator:
Beacon View Farm Campsite is nice, great views, can like all cliff top sites in Cornwall get very windy. You can walk down to Chapel Porth beach (NationalTrust) and enjoy a surf and then a Hedgehog Ice Cream. Porthtowan is a short drive as is Trevaunance Cove. Two campsites side by side. We always stay at the independent one not the caravan club one.

Haha; used to live near there Mark and TC; right on my current patch! Pentewan does get surf but only in massive swell; it can get really good as can much of that coast but it's rare.

Back