Jerba v Autohaus T6.1 conversion

We have a Bilbo’s LWB with a gas oven/grill we have never used and as, like you, we are mainly on hook up we wish we had gone for the microwave option.
Gas we have a 907 bottle and the gas cabinet is designed to hold two bottles however the first one which is now 5 years old and still going (we eat out a lot haha). We tend to use electric kettle, toaster and grill.
Solar we bought a Renogy suitcase 100watt which is fantastic on the few days we are off grid we just plug it in and it keeps everything going. As it comes in a case we always have it with us as sometimes the best pitches on a site don’t have electric so it gives us more options.
France we go for a month at a time the choice of gas bottles/regulators is bewildering as most supermarkets seem to offer different systems, we gave up trying but as I said our bottle now 5 years old and most French sites have cheap electric.

Last edited:
I'm researching more and starting to answer some of my own questions.

Gas
- No indication of capacity other than weight
- No real need for more than 1 gas canister as the 907 will last plenty of time for us with weekend trips and occasional trips to France, used for cooking only.
- I shouldn't worry about different gas canisters in France as the 907 UK canister will more than cover a 2-3 week trip in France.

Oven - not sure I need this, I looked at the Cadac as suggested by @Ozi and that looks ideal connected to a BBQ point.

Solar - still unsure about the need for this. There's a bit of the "fear of missing out" here. I suppose I can not get one initially and add it later if I see the need?

Still withering between Jerba and Autohaus as my preferred converter options. I plan to contact them both to help form an opinion.

Right. I'm in. Took another look at a friend's Autohaus conversion. Liked what I saw, a lot, and the proximity factor influenced me also. I like the idea of having after sales support not too far away. In terms of the various conversion questions I asked, I decided to go for the standard gas hob (but with a BBQ point to which I will connect a Cadac), Webasto diesel heater and solar panel for leisure battery charging. Van wise I will go for DSG Auto, Highline, LED lights and reversing camera. It's expensive on these forums isn't it. And I know I've just got started! :D Thanks for the advice so far all.

Right. I'm in. Took another look at a friend's Autohaus conversion. Liked what I saw, a lot, and the proximity factor influenced me also. I like the idea of having after sales support not too far away. In terms of the various conversion questions I asked, I decided to go for the standard gas hob (but with a BBQ point to which I will connect a Cadac), Webasto diesel heater and solar panel for leisure battery charging. Van wise I will go for DSG Auto, Highline, LED lights and reversing camera. It's expensive on these forums isn't it. And I know I've just got started! :D Thanks for the advice so far all.
Just one thing to add, if you can, is soft close on the sliding door.

Just one thing to add, if you can, is soft close on the sliding door.

"And another thing".....whether it's Apple events or camper vans this only ever means spending more :D

Is that really a necessity? I can see the value late at night on a campsite to avoid disturbing others right enough. So maybe, I'll look into it.

You've not said where you're located - - -

We looked at Jerba - only 2 hours from Stirling - and were impressed. We were also pointed to Exploria in Brighouse, who are 4 hours away. We ended up going with Exploria for no other reason than the person who recommended them had done so. On reflection, while we'd probably have been happy with either (and we have friends who are pleased with their Jerba vans), I have to say I like the quality of the detail finishing on the Exploria conversion. For example, if I were to show you round our van, I challenge you to find the water pump, the leisure batteries or the gas cylinder. We have had occasion to have to have remedial work done this year, and the 4 hour journey time essentially meant we ended up making a 3 day mini-break of it as they needed the van for a full day. We stayed locally on the first night, and then played tourist on our way home, again with a night away. But distance is something to consider!

I'd never heard of Autohaus until recently, but all our friends with vans are either Jerba or Exploria conversions. This may be a self-fulfilling echo chamber, of course!

We liked the idea of the Wallas until we found out how long it takes to heat up for cooking, and of course it will be considerably less responsive to heat control for normal cooking. We also didn't like the fact that it outputs the heat at waist level. We choose an underslung diesel heater, fed from the van's tank, which outputs at floor level. We have 60 ltrs of underslung water. We didn't consider any toilet options at the time (4 years ago), but have subsequently got a small Thetford and a Khyam toilet tent - no way will we be toileting in the van! Fridge is electric. Hob and oven/grill are gas (C/gaz - 907 - I carry a spare 904)). We've used the oven/grill once in 4 years - - -

Some other thoughts you may want to factor in. These are things we didn't know we needed to know when we were researching, and we now regard as "thank goodness" we ended up where we are! As regards the pop-top roof, ask about load rating if you plan on having a roof rack for a box, kayaks etc. Check your chosen seat/bed is easy to transition from seat to bed. Check you can get your feet on the floor in seat mode, and you have enough headroom when the roof is down. Is it crash tested or pull tested? Does it rattle when you're driving? We opted for a VW Cali seat/bed which is expensive, but safe - it's on rails, so we have a lot of flexibility with how the load space can be utilised. When we have passengers on it, it's usually pulled fully forward which is much nicer than being stuck at the back of a van on a long journey.

I appreciate you have decided on SWB but unless you are completely wedded to that, consider the practical benefits of the extra space in the LWB. For us, with the bed down, we think we'd struggle to sort ourselves out for bed if we'd chosen SWB. A reversing camera helps enormously.

I assume you'll want swivel front seats - the VW ones raise the driver's seat height a lot apparently, and you lose adjustability. Others are known to rattle, and rock a bit. I can only say that Exploria have their own ones, and I have maintained adjustability, and original seat height, and they are solid.

VW OE sliding windows leak. If they don't leak now, they will. They will always leak. We had ours replaced with fixed glass as we'd ordered a Kombi with sliding windows. Don't get VW sliding windows.

We don't have solar, although we did get the necessary wiring put in to make retro-fitting easier. Thus far, we've never run low on power but then we do have 2 big leisure batteries, and all the interior lights are LED. I see you've wisely chosen LED for the vehicle lights - and the soft-close door(s) are worth having.

Last edited:
You've not said where you're located - - -

Monmouthshire, just over the Severn Bridge.

We looked at Jerba - only 2 hours from Stirling - and were impressed.

I was impressed also, they seem to really know their stuff and the van configuration was ideal for us. We chose Autohaus as a friend has one, so we got to have a good look around and get his opinions. Highly recommended and other reviews I read validated that. Their van configuration and storage also looked ideal for our needs and they are only 90 minutes away which is great.

We liked the idea of the Wallas until we found out how long it takes to heat up for cooking, and of course it will be considerably less responsive to heat control for normal cooking. We also didn't like the fact that it outputs the heat at waist level. We choose an underslung diesel heater, fed from the van's tank, which outputs at floor level. We have 60 ltrs of underslung water. We didn't consider any toilet options at the time (4 years ago), but have subsequently got a small Thetford and a Khyam toilet tent - no way will we be toileting in the van! Fridge is electric. Hob and oven/grill are gas (C/gaz - 907 - I carry a spare 904)). We've used the oven/grill once in 4 years - - -

Same conclusion we reached on the Wallas. We went with a Webasto diesel heater which outputs at floor level and a gas hob for better cooking control and an external BBQ point. Also CG 907 for easy exchange in France. We decided not to go with the grill and prioritised external BBQ point instead. Toilet wise we have acquired a Bivvy Loo as a very portable emergency option. Decided against a chemical toilet mainly due to storage.

Some other thoughts you may want to factor in. These are things we didn't know we needed to know when we were researching, and we now regard as "thank goodness" we ended up where we are! As regards the pop-top roof, ask about load rating if you plan on having a roof rack for a box, kayaks etc. Check your chosen seat/bed is easy to transition from seat to bed. Check you can get your feet on the floor in seat mode, and you have enough headroom when the roof is down. Is it crash tested or pull tested? Does it rattle when you're driving? We opted for a VW Cali seat/bed which is expensive, but safe - it's on rails, so we have a lot of flexibility with how the load space can be utilised. When we have passengers on it, it's usually pulled fully forward which is much nicer than being stuck at the back of a van on a long journey.

Pop top roof is a Reimo. No need for roof box or storage. Lower bed is a RIB which looks a lot easier to switch than some of the others we looked at. Crash tested.

I appreciate you have decided on SWB but unless you are completely wedded to that, consider the practical benefits of the extra space in the LWB. For us, with the bed down, we think we'd struggle to sort ourselves out for bed if we'd chosen SWB. A reversing camera helps enormously.

Completely wedded to SWB. But it does have a reversing camera!

I assume you'll want swivel front seats - the VW ones raise the driver's seat height a lot apparently, and you lose adjustability. Others are known to rattle, and rock a bit. I can only say that Exploria have their own ones, and I have maintained adjustability, and original seat height, and they are solid.

Yes swivel “captains” seats are specified. VW.
We don't have solar, although we did get the necessary wiring put in to make retro-fitting easier. Thus far, we've never run low on power but then we do have 2 big leisure batteries, and all the interior lights are LED. I see you've wisely chosen LED for the vehicle lights - and the soft-close door(s) are worth having.

We did specify solar and yes, LED headlights specified as I read too many horrific reviews on the standard lights. Also added the power latch side door to the specification after recommendations on here and other reviews.

Thank you so much for the insight and recommendations, much appreciated.

Back