Cam Belt Changed - Now multiple errors including Stop Start

russ_e

IT Developer
T6 Guru
Recently had my Cam belt changed and when I picked up the van it failed to start first time. Put it down to a low battery after being in the garage all day.

For the following week the van refused to start first time often taking several goes at cranking over before it starts (2 - 3 minutes). Stop Start Error is also displayed on the dashboard. Thought it was just a low battery so connected the charger for a day and driven about 500 miles.

The van now starts most times but still getting the Stop Start error. If I forget to turn off the Stop Start and it kicks in the van always fails to start. Have to turn off the ignition and try and start up manually.

So I've taken it back to the garage that swapped the Cam belt and pump and they have confirmed the following errors:

P034100 Camshaft position sensor
P20EE00 SCR Nox
P06EF00 Engine Restart
P012100 Throttle pedal position
03442 Return message closing status of rear lid
U140000 Adaptive Cruise Control Function Restriction.

From reading another thread with similar issues after a Cam belt change it could all be caused by them incorrectly fitting the Cam belt.

My initial thoughts were a damaged / failed battery.

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
Did they clear all the codes?

Then rescan after a drive cycle?

So see what codes come back?

It's possible the timing is slightly out.

Or a sensor is not plugged in properly.

Was it a VW garage?

What spec van? Age? Miles? Etc.

Thanks for replying Dellmassive.

They have cleared the codes and asked me to go back next week and they will scan again.

Just a local garage. T6 67 Plate - 38k Highline Panel Van. 102 - 5 speed manual.

After I picked the van up after clearing the codes the Stop Start error came back on the dash. It then failed to start after the stop start kicked in.

Started manually ok.

Last edited:
ok, id take it back for a re-scan after a few short drives.

id say this could relate to the cam belt change . . .

these would have nothing to do with cam belt . . .

P20EE00 SCR Nox - emissions related.
P06EF00 Engine Restart - not sure
P012100 Throttle pedal position - peddle position sensor.
03442 Return message closing status of rear lid - tailgate sensor
U140000 Adaptive Cruise Control Function Restriction. -

This does have all the hallmarks of the cam timing being slightly out. Unfortunately the codes are generic, not VW specific so not as informative as a VCDS or similar scan.
Correlation between cam and crank sensors can be viewed in VCDS, I believe it's the 'Torsion Value'

As start / stop requires a lot of prerequisite conditions to be met to operate, I imagine having no fault codes and CEL would be one of them, so it makes sense to have a start / stop disabled fault code.

Recently had my Cam belt changed and when I picked up the van it failed to start first time. Put it down to a low battery after being in the garage all day.

For the following week the van refused to start first time often taking several goes at cranking over before it starts (2 - 3 minutes). Stop Start Error is also displayed on the dashboard. Thought it was just a low battery so connected the charger for a day and driven about 500 miles.

The van now starts most times but still getting the Stop Start error. If I forget to turn off the Stop Start and it kicks in the van always fails to start. Have to turn off the ignition and try and start up manually.

So I've taken it back to the garage that swapped the Cam belt and pump and they have confirmed the following errors:

P20EE00 SCR Nox
P06EF00 Engine Restart
P012100 Throttle pedal position
03442 Return message closing status of rear lid
U140000 Adaptive Cruise Control Function Restriction.

From reading another thread with similar issues after a Cam belt change it could all be caused by them incorrectly fitting the Cam belt.

My initial thoughts were a damaged / failed battery.
Hi, I have just had the cambelt changed on my 2018 crafter (is it a different engine to the transporter?) And its not starting on the key. Did you get to the bottom of your problem?
Thanks

Took it back to the garage twice, they denied they did anything but when I picked it up the second time everything just worked.

I'm pretty sure they hadn't put the cam belt on correctly or had broken something when fitting it.

Took it back to the garage twice, they denied they did anything but when I picked it up the second time everything just worked.

I'm pretty sure they hadn't put the cam belt on correctly or had broken something when fitting it.
Ok, thanks for getting back to me

Cam timing slightly out, probably didn’t turn the engine over after and check the 3 pins/tools re lock at tdc

Reactions: DXX
Back