California Experts; Under Worktop Lights, A Little Wiring Help.

j4ckal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm putting a California kitchen in my converted panel van.
I'm just working through the wiring side of things.
Is the under worktop LED strip (I believe fitted to the later kitchens) switched from one of the 2 light switches on the end of the panel and nothing else connected to it? I've traced everything else in the loom that comes out from behind those switches other than 4 wires (see pic attached) which carry on as part of the main loom and terminate in a slim 4 pin plug.

I've got the inside cupboard leds working off one of the switches fine, just not the under worktop ones... I can't see how the switches are wired from the rear without taking the sink/hob out which I haven't had time to do as yet.
Any help greatly appreciated.IMG_20190730_183914.jpg

There is an issue with the factory wiring of that module as they took the feed from the boot light. It develops a fault and flashes when the bcu goes to sleep.
My master tech friend says it needs rewiring to the leisure side to work properly.

Cheers Loz.
I've unpicked all the loom and will be wiring it direct to my 12v fusebox fed by leisure battery.
The only part I can't see is behind the switches for the led lights/240v socket/12v cig lighter type.
Any ideas what the grey, grey/yellow, grey/purple wires are?

Cheers!

brown wire will be ground.

Cali circuit Diagrams in the downloads area.
I’ll look them up when I get to my desk.
(Guess) microswitch on the tap for the water pump?

Last edited:
Nice one Loz, cheers.

Already got the wires for tap microswitch so not those. I'd assumed the brown as ground and tried that (with 12v going to the red for the inside cupboard lights) but nothing.

I've read last night that the under worktop LEDs can be switched on with the switch as I'm trying or with the courtesy lights by a double press of the button, I'm guessing it's something to do with that and I'll have to put 12v in on one of the grey wires. They don't work off a dimmer either do they?

Cheers.

@Dellmassive do you have the latest circuit diagrams (section 81 camping equipment) with the new kitchen light control unit on it?

@Loz are the wiring diagrams for the latest California kitchens avail in the download area?

If I get time today I'll take the sink/hob out to have a look at the back of the switches etc.

@Loz are the wiring diagrams for the latest California kitchens avail in the download area?

If I get time today I'll take the sink/hob out to have a look at the back of the switches etc.
no, that is too new.

Interesting thread @j4ckal

How are you getting on with it. I’m interested to know how you have modified the side sliding door if you have to suit the Cali kitchen?

Hi I’m new to forum so this is my first post I’m in the process of doing a California conversion and I’m looking for the part number for a led module that controls the kitchen unit lights and the ones in the pop top I’ve been told it’s located by the rear side back light and is about the size of a fag packet any help much appreciated steve

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a lighting control module that lives inside the nearside rear quarter panel, most of the interior lights and switches wire back to it and it is the controller/dimmer for them
What are you trying to achieve ?

Sorry the part number is 7E7906361B (can try it without the B also ?)

There is a lighting control module that lives inside the nearside rear quarter panel, most of the interior lights and switches wire back to it and it is the controller/dimmer for them
What are you trying to achieve ?
Hi I need the part number to get one from my local vw dealer there not having much luck finding it I bought a complete 2018 California interior roof as well I’ve now got most of the electrical side of things done but I’m missing the module thanks steve

Thanks for that pauly

on the same topic, the light under the kitchen unit come on only as long as i hold the button. if i stop pressing the button it goes off. Do you know where to find the replacement button? or how its called

on the same topic, the light under the kitchen unit come on only as long as i hold the button. if i stop pressing the button it goes off. Do you know where to find the replacement button? or how its called
It wont be the button, the button just instructs the module to work operate this lights.

Back