Cabinet with doors or not?

Vanmonkey

I am now putting together a day van but with pop top and full size rib bed in aT6,we want as much space as pos as we have to to lively boys.
we are thinking of having a unit at high level over what would be the cooker. Would anyone recommend open unit or with doors ??

Won't stuff just fall out of an open unit? It will probably only be lightweight stuff anyway if the unit is hung off the van framework?

Won't stuff just fall out of an open unit? It will probably only be lightweight stuff anyway if the unit is hung off the van framework?
You can get an open long slim top shelf which is designed to be open. I guess you just cram things in. My thought was closed unit is more practical but you do see a lot which are open.

We have an open shelf over the cooker, but it has a 25mm lip which keeps stuff in when driving.

Pete

You can get an open long slim top shelf which is designed to be open. I guess you just cram things in. My thought was closed unit is more practical but you do see a lot which are open.
Yes, I've just got one of the shelf units, which was where my concerns came from. An overhead locker across the rear may be better? Presume you've seen these? Overbed lockers | EVO Design

Nothing more annoying than things moving about or falling over when you’re driving. If it can be enclosed, I would.

I am sure it works fine but do you think it would be better with doors ?

You need to balance several things here:
The weight of the unit and the things in it - there isn’t a lot to screw it into, so that could limit its capacity.
The gap between the cooker and the bottom of the storage unit - our cooker quotes a minimum gap, to prevent burning the underside I guess.
How much space you need - we just wanted somewhere to put small light stuff - small box of tissues, masks, tea-towel, toilet roll etc.

Pete

You need to balance several things here:
The weight of the unit and the things in it - there isn’t a lot to screw it into, so that could limit its capacity.
The gap between the cooker and the bottom of the storage unit - our cooker quotes a minimum gap, to prevent burning the underside I guess.
How much space you need - we just wanted somewhere to put small light stuff - small box of tissues, masks, tea-towel, toilet roll etc.

Pete
Hi pete ,we aren’t having a Cooker as it’s more a day van with pop top and rib bed

I'd definitely go with doors. Much more tidy looking when they're filled up. Don't forget to consider adding cupboards above the rear seats.

Here's mine:

T6 Interior small.JPG

Back