Buying Second Hand - Check List.

A Bridge Too Far

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All,

It's been a few years since I've looked this closely when buying a car as most have been company cars. In my younger days I would research common things to check on a car when buying it (like sterring wheel play on a MKII golf and if the engine had manual or automatic points).

I am going to look at my first T6 next week (which I have already reserved from a reputable family owned dealership). As I am parting with my own cash rather than my employers, what should I be looking for. It is a 2017, 102, T28 Highline with a CamperKing conversion. I have scoured the forum so have seen all the discussions on payload, power etc, I'm looking of areas that are known amongst owners as being an issue that I can check.

It already has, Bilstein coilovers, tow bar, all dealer fitted. Are there things on these to check also?

Cheers, Chris.

9985-15-0-77964.jpg

I think it is just a case of checking everything works in van and conversion. Test drive the van, these vehicles are very quiet and car like so look out for any strange noises etc. Also service history. Is it a new conversion? Does it come with any sort of warranty? Looks nice, I like the colour.

Sorry couldn't be any more help but I'm more of a check as much as possible sort of person, as condition of vans can range massively, for example my work transit (17 reg) has 133k on the clock and is in very good condition but the company spare van (18 reg) has 42k on it but is very rough.Don't be afraid to get on the floor and have a look underneath.

@A Bridge Too Far ...just seen the van ( looks nice ) one thing to consider is the barn doors...if you like them that’s great..but the tailgate makes a great extra shelter and keeps the rain off the internals......if you intend to use solar later see if the electrics can handle it, you don’t want to ripe it apart later....if it’s you money send it wisely ;)

You don’t mention if it’s a new conversion or pre-owned, but I’ll assume pre owned.

Ask for an up to date habitation certificate for the conversion and listen for rattles and squeaks from the conversion.

Check the operation of the roof and that the canvas and poptop window(s) aren’t damaged or showing any signs of dampness.

Check all the appliances work and the general fit and finish of the conversion, and make sure they show you how to set up the bed, open and close the roof, swivel the seat etc. Check the leisure battery charge system, and if it’s just a relay, either negotiate or budget for a DC-DC charger. Run up the diesel (or gas) heater as fitted.

Obviously, check the service history of the van, and an HPI check, along with a visual check underneath and under the bonnet, followed by a good test drive, listening and checking for any untoward noises, vibration or pulling to one side. Look for any signs of accident damage or repairs. If fitted, make sure you check things like air conditioning and heated screen as they’re useful and pricey to repair. If it’s got a MOLL battery, it may be worth trying to chip them a bit (unless it’s still in warranty, as it may need replacement).

Also (one for if you buy it), check the wheel brace fits the wheel nuts on the van, as I helped a T5 owner once with a flat, and the original wheel bolts are 19mm, and he had 20” wheels and the converter had used 17mm ones! He was snookered!

May be worth taking a Carista dongle with you and checking the ECU for errors if the dealer lets you?

Depending on how familiar you are with vehicles, could be worth taking someone who is knowledgeable about vehicles (noting current social distancing rules though).

This list isn’t exhaustive by any means, but a starting point.

Good luck!

Last edited:
@A Bridge Too Far ...just seen the van ( looks nice ) one thing to consider is the barn doors...if you like them that’s great..but the tailgate makes a great extra shelter and keeps the rain off the internals......if you intend to use solar later see if the electrics can handle it, you don’t want to ripe it apart later....if it’s you money send it wisely ;)
Thanks Solar already installed by the dealer.

Thanks All,

Appreciate the help and certainly points me in the right direction.

The conversion is 18 months old, van has 20k miles, originally sold by this CK dealer and they will conduct full service, habitation check, HPI and we have a couple of hours with them next week to go through full operation, checks and test drive.

For the amount of time involved I’d recommend getting a hose pipe on it with the roof elevated. Check window seals, door seals and roof canvas for water ingress.

Back