Buying insect netting??

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
Just in case anyone is travelling to the highlands this year and is thinking of buying insect netting…

This is the difference between an Amazon sourced insect net material (left) and a proprietary midge net material. (right)

86619F37-D9B7-42AE-99CF-EFE2AE96F591.jpeg

BTW —. Highland midges are bloomin’ microscopic buggers and do easily pass through the former. DAMHIK

PS don’t forget to protect your fan outlets too.

@Oldrat def not something you want to scrimp on! I had the pleasure of working in Highlands for a couple of years! Skin so Soft by Avon used to work a treat. Also had midgie 'eaters' on site.... Used to catch the feckers by the black bag full! Back in the day (talking 30yrs ago) I remember being at a cub camp and sitting round a fag in a Coke can!

@Oldrat def not something you want to scrimp on! I had the pleasure of working in Highlands for a couple of years! Skin so Soft by Avon used to work a treat. Also had midgie 'eaters' on site.... Used to catch the feckers by the black bag full! Back in the day (talking 30yrs ago) I remember being at a cub camp and sitting round a fag in a Coke can!

I’ve used Skin so soft for ages, but I suspect that they changed the ingredients a few years back and it’s not been quite the same.

When's the best time of the year to avoid them
It depends on the temperatures but you can get them any time from April through to October. June through to September usually the worst. However they cannot fly in wind over 4kmh so it doesn't take much to keep them in the undergrowth. Oldrat is right about getting proper netting because they are tiny, and most people now use Smidge as the most effective anti midge spray

Just in case anyone is travelling to the highlands this year and is thinking of buying insect netting…

This is the difference between an Amazon sourced insect net material (left) and a proprietary midge net material. (right)

View attachment 149080

BTW —. Highland midges are bloomin’ microscopic buggers and do easily pass through the former. DAMHIK

PS don’t forget to protect your fan outlets too.
Heading up in early May hopefully we won’t need this ,but thanks for the heads up mr

Back