Budget Tyres - What not to buy!!

Tiggy1955

When I did my van conversion I purchased the 18" Wolfrace Munich wheels with the budget HiFly HF805 tyres.

I subsequently heard of problems others have had with the sidewall on these. A friend of mine had to replace all of his because the sidewall had blistered on the inside and was only spotted at the MOT.

The attached photo show what happened to mine - front nearside. This looks like a cut but I can assure you it is not - the sidewall has split open. There are what appear to be other weak spots similar to perishing in the sidewall of the others, particularly on the front. These have done about 12,000 miles.

I have now replaced all of them with Michelin Cross Climate 2. Not cheap and definitely not budget but it is a much better drive and I expect them to last a lot longer.

As the saying goes - you get what you pay for......

Hifly HF805 problem.jpg

When I did my van conversion I purchased the 18" Wolfrace Munich wheels with the budget HiFly HF805 tyres.

I subsequently heard of problems others have had with the sidewall on these. A friend of mine had to replace all of his because the sidewall had blistered on the inside and was only spotted at the MOT.

The attached photo show what happened to mine - front nearside. This looks like a cut but I can assure you it is not - the sidewall has split open. There are what appear to be other weak spots similar to perishing in the sidewall of the others, particularly on the front. These have done about 12,000 miles.

I have now replaced all of them with Michelin Cross Climate 2. Not cheap and definitely not budget but it is a much better drive and I expect them to last a lot longer.

As the saying goes - you get what you pay for......

View attachment 192846
Are you sure that the tyre pressure was correct? I used to rely of TPMS until I found out that it takes a 25% deviation to trigger the alarm.

I had many cinese cheap tyres under my cars when I couldn’t afford better. never had any issue like that. My main concern was the poor handling on wet, braking and high speed. Being cheap and probably made with old machineries, balancing the wheel was an impossible task. In winter they become so hard they are dangerous.

Back