Brake Fluid Leak

McCarney

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

I appear to have a slight leak from my brake fluid reservoir. The fluid appears to be leaking from around the cap so it’s looking like I’m going to need a new one. Any ideas where I can pick one up from?
Cheers
O

Have you or anybody else recently changed your brake pads?
The level of fluid in the reservoir should not reach the cap, the maximum level it should be filled to is well below the cap, the air space is designed in to allow for the fluid in the system to expand when it is heated as you use the brakes.
The leak around the cap may be a symptom of a more serious problem.
I wouldn't drive it on public roads until fixed.

Last edited:
I'm dubious about the space needed for expansion comment, race bikes have for a long time used bits of tubing instead of a reservoir and they get pretty hot.
You should always reset the level to max line when replacing brake pads, that way, as the pads wear, the level goes down, and if pad wear indicators are not fitted/working the reservoir level alarm should be an indicator that pads are worn, which is why you should never top up brake fluid mid pad life as it removes this feature. Also, if topped up mid pad life and then the pads are changed, pushing the pistons back in results in the fluid being pushed back to the reservoir, but there will now be more than the reservoir can hold and it will overflow unless drained off.

Have you or anybody else recently changed your brake pads?
The level of fluid in the reservoir should not reach the cap, the maximum level it should be filled to is well below the cap, the air space is designed in to allow for the fluid in the system to expand when it is heated as you use the brakes.
The leak around the cap may be a symptom of a more serious problem.
I wouldn't drive it on public roads until fixed.
Cheers Dave. Im pretty sure there isn’t a major problem it’s mainly that my van is parked on a slope that’s tilts the reservoir over the max level. That said I will be keeping an eye on it

Grim Reaper: "I'm dubious about the space needed for expansion comment, race bikes have for a long time used bits of tubing instead of a reservoir and they get pretty hot."

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/dam/jcr:d007a6b6-504e-4d78-ab0c-bcae48880523/Master Cylinder Fluid Levels.pdf
"As you drive your car and apply your brakes, your brake system heats up, including your brake fluid. As brake fluid heats up, it expands. The path of least resistance leads the brake fluid to expand back into the master cylinder reservoir. As a test, check your brake fluid level before you go for a drive. Once you are done with your drive, check it again. You will notice that the fluid level is higher because the fluid is hot. As the fluid cools down, it will drop back to a normal level. This is why it is important not to fill the reservoir above the max line. Most newer vehicle models on the road today have a sealed cap on top of the master cylinder reservoir. If you fill the fluid over the max line your fluid runs out of space to expand."

I'm going to go with the company that deals with nothing but brakes!

Last edited:
Cheers Dave think I may invest in a turkey baster. I’m sure it was filled to the max and because I park on a slope it was leaking from around the cap seal.

Back